The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What Would Jurassic Do? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/20962-what-would-jurassic-do.html)

rainmaker Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:32pm

Girls freshmen game. Pretty high level of ball for the age group. very close throughout.

Middle of the second quarter, A1 is at the line to shoot two. Crowd quiets down. Just as she starts her routine that leads to the shot, Coach B says (just loud enough), "She's gotta miss one, get the rebound." She swished it. I gave the coach The Look. Second shot. Same point in the routine, "Must be this one." Fortunately, she swished it again. He didn't try it again, but it made me wonder. How would you handle it? If she hadn't made that second one, I'd have called it disconcertion, and tossed him if he argued. Should I have T'd him anyway, just on principle? I thought it was pretty dirty, but after she made both shots, I figured she'd done the whacking for me!

Jurassic Referee Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:43pm

After the first one, I woulda stopped the game, walked over to the coach and quietly(just so that the two of us could hear) said something like "Coach, you're trying to disconcert the shooter. Please desist. I'm not gonna allow you to do that". Then I'm gonna turn my back and walk away- no arguments, no discussions, no questions answered. If the coach did it again on a missed FT, I would call a disconcertion violation. I wouldn't think of "T"ing the coach up right away- only if s/he persisted in trying to disconcert a FT shooter after having been warned not too. Most coachs do something like this because they don't have a clue what the appropriate rule is. Once they find out, they're usually smart enough to drop that little game.

Others may have different or better ways to handle that situation. Whatever works for you is fine- as long as you don't let the coach get away with something like this. Jmo.

truerookie Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:57pm

First, I would have said loud enough were everyone could here me. Coach, you cannot disconcert the shooter. This way every in the vicinity will know that you are not allowed to do that. It goes along the same line as Team B at the lane spaces discussing who has the shooter or they raise their arms as if they are stretching and drops them just when the shooter starts their shooting motion disconcertion. Shooter miss violation another shot if they hit warning to player for taking the routine too far. Just my two pennies

ChuckElias Tue Jun 21, 2005 01:34pm

This is one where I don't really think the conversation is even necessary. If she misses, call the violation. "Disconcertion, by the coach". Now, the coach knows s/he can't do that. If she keeps hitting the FTs, then she's obviously not being disconcerted, so it's not an issue.

Call it. Or don't. I wouldn't engage the coach at all for this. And I wouldn't T for it until I got to about the third violation.

BktBallRef Tue Jun 21, 2005 02:11pm

I can hardly wait for THE REPLY that we all know is coming! :D

BktBallRef Tue Jun 21, 2005 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally posted by truerookie
It goes along the same line as Team B at the lane spaces discussing who has the shooter or they raise their arms as if they are stretching and drops them just when the shooter starts their shooting motion disconcertion. Shooter miss violation another shot if they hit warning to player for taking the routine too far. Just my two pennies
Warn them in what manner? What is going too far?

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Call it. Or don't. I wouldn't engage the coach at all for this. And I wouldn't T for it until I got to about the third violation.
I agree with regard to not engaging him but I honestly don't think he's going to continue to do it if you call the disconcertion. And if I does, he probably wants the T, so I'll just keep calling it.

stmaryrams Tue Jun 21, 2005 03:32pm

Had a girls Frosh game similar sitch to this with a girl shouting "I got shooter" just as the attempt was made.

After this happened on two attempts (Both made)I commented to her that she needed to call this out at a better moment or it would be a disconcertion.

and guess what - it stopped.

rainmaker Tue Jun 21, 2005 04:05pm

Okay, these all make sense, and sound about right to me. I'd rather have the shooter get her come-uppance as in my sitch. I don't usually believe in karma, but in cases like this...

refnrev Tue Jun 21, 2005 04:25pm

I have no T unless it just doesn't stop. Then I have to T up the caoch for unsporting play. If they hit it the shot I proabably wouldn't say much. If she misses I'd just call the violation. I'd say where everyone could hear, "We've got disconcerting the thrower on the Coach. Shoot it again" and give them the shot again.

JugglingReferee Tue Jun 21, 2005 08:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
I can hardly wait for THE REPLY that we all know is coming! :D
Before I read any more of this thread, are you referring to Rut's reply?

ChrisSportsFan Wed Jun 22, 2005 07:35am

If it continues and she misses, call the violation. If it continues, keep calling it. Sooner or later she'll make the shot and then we can play. If it's summer league and the clock is still running, what's the big deal? Hopefully she will get her shot down so when coach argues, she makes the T shots also. :)

Rick Durkee Thu Jun 23, 2005 08:23am

Is it within the rules to call a violation on a coach for disconcertion? 9-1-5 states, "No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower." How are we to interpret opponent? I didn't spend hours with the rule book, but I looked for a little while and even did a little searching with the ARS disk, and I only found "opponent" referring to a player on the court. Could it be that by rule our only recourse is an unsporting technical?

[Edited by Rick Durkee on Jun 23rd, 2005 at 09:28 AM]

Jurassic Referee Thu Jun 23, 2005 09:49am

Quote:

Originally posted by Rick Durkee
Is it within the rules to call a violation on a coach for disconcertion? 9-1-5 states, "No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower." How are we to interpret opponent? I didn't spend hours with the rule book, but I looked for a little while and even did a little searching with the ARS disk, and I only found "opponent" referring to a player on the court. Could it be that by rule our only recourse is an unsporting technical?

It's in an old POE - about 4/5 years ago-in the 2001/02 rule book iirw. Disconcertion does apply to the bench and anyone on it, and if you deem it unsporting at the same time you can call a "T" for it also.

Rick Durkee Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:18am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Originally posted by Rick Durkee

It's in an old POE - about 4/5 years ago-in the 2001/02 rule book iirw. Disconcertion does apply to the bench and anyone on it, and if you deem it unsporting at the same time you can call a "T" for it also.

Thank you, J.R.