The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 02, 2001, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I thought the NCAA made a great call by having Scott Thornley, Gerry Boudreaux, and Ed Corbett work this game. I thought these guys were in a great flow all night long. They were very consistent from start to finish. WEY to go!!
Any comments or opinions???
Old Tue Apr 03, 2001, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Nothing went totally arrie like what happened last year with the crash behind Jim Burr's back. So I say it was a good game. I was blowing my whistle in my living room when they wern't but what game does that not happen. And the replays showed the officials on the court were right most of the time.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2001, 11:31am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Missed a few but......

who the hell does not do that during one of their games? I always look back at my games and I can say 5 things that I did not call very well or could have passed on. If I had less than 5 calls, I had a pretty good game. But even if I miss one call, I am always mad at myself and try to learn from the mistake or ask one of my partners if they saw the same thing that I did?

Look, not one call changed the game. Even though Coach Olson felt Jason Williams fouled out a couple of times, but from what I saw, the falling of his players was incidental at best and if anything was going to be called, it should have been on his players for blocks.

Great officiated game.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2001, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Re: Missed a few but......

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
who the hell does not do that during one of their games? I always look back at my games and I can say 5 things that I did not call very well or could have passed on. If I had less than 5 calls, I had a pretty good game. But even if I miss one call, I am always mad at myself and try to learn from the mistake or ask one of my partners if they saw the same thing that I did?

Look, not one call changed the game. Even though Coach Olson felt Jason Williams fouled out a couple of times, but from what I saw, the falling of his players was incidental at best and if anything was going to be called, it should have been on his players for blocks.

Great officiated game.
Totally agree.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2001, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

There was a lot of contact that could have been but wasn't called. Battier didn't get all the charging calls he tried for either. As long as it is consistent, and from my seat it seemed to be, you have to be happy with the officiating. I thought that the defenders were flopping at the first sign of Williams' arm extending.

The one non-call I questioned was the Battier block and save, where he appeared to take out an arm along with the ball. It looked like a clear foul at speed, in a situation where officials will be more inclined to anticipate and go with the foul, and backed up by instant replay which showed more powerful contact than some other fouls that were called. Not that I want or could do that job, or that one missed call in a fast-paced game makes a bad officiating job!
Old Tue Apr 03, 2001, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Did anyone notice the play where a Duke player (I'm not sure which one) set the ball on the floor, walked about three steps and then picked it up and dribbled away? I thought this was travelling, but it was so obvious, and no one called it, so perhaps I'm wrong...
Old Tue Apr 03, 2001, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Did anyone notice the play where a Duke player (I'm not sure which one) set the ball on the floor, walked about three steps and then picked it up and dribbled away? I thought this was travelling, but it was so obvious, and no one called it, so perhaps I'm wrong...
How could that be traveling? It's like I said in the 3 second post. A player has to hold with ball in order to travel, with a couple of exceptions.

1- He can't hold the ball, throw it into the air, run and catch it.

2- He can't be on the floor, put the ball on the floor, get up and pick the ball up.

Those are the only two exceptions that I can think of. Otherwise, he must be holding the ball in order to travel.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Apr 04, 2001, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

If that isn't traveling, is it not possibly a double dribble?
Old Wed Apr 04, 2001, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Don't know about NCAA rules, I don't have my book, but for fed, holding the ball and touching it to the floor is not a dribble. As far as I can tell, unless he dribbled before setting it down, this sounds legal.

There is a great axiom in volleyball that applies sometimes in basketball. Ugly does not mean bad.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2001, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
If that isn't traveling, is it not possibly a double dribble?
No. Putting the ball on the floor doesn't constitute a dribble. It's no different than if he fumbled the ball, walked to it and picked it up.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Apr 04, 2001, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
As far as I can tell, unless he dribbled before setting it down, this sounds legal.
It's illegal to dribble, set, dribble but you're right that's not what happened. Thanks, Brian!