The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Wow! Great game for Duke fans. I thought the reffing was great over all. Very tight on PC, which I approve of, and pretty balanced on everything else, I thought. Packer was his usual idiot, wasn't he? I especially enjoyed feeling superior about the remark that the player hadn't yet released the ball, so it shouldn't be a shooting foul. Where do they get these guys? But I wonder if the one block by Dunleavy which they replayed about 4 times was actually clean. It was hard to tell from the camera angle if there was body contact. Anybody with more experience than me have any comments?
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Wow! Great game for Duke fans. I thought the reffing was great over all. Very tight on PC, which I approve of, and pretty balanced on everything else, I thought. Packer was his usual idiot, wasn't he? I especially enjoyed feeling superior about the remark that the player hadn't yet released the ball, so it shouldn't be a shooting foul. Where do they get these guys? But I wonder if the one block by Dunleavy which they replayed about 4 times was actually clean. It was hard to tell from the camera angle if there was body contact. Anybody with more experience than me have any comments?
I don't remeber that play. I recall only one questionable call. Wilcox was called for a foul on Battier behind the 3 point arc early in the 2nd half. The Lead, who appeared to be straight lined, called the foul. The block looked clean to me but he's calling the game, not me.

They didn't show a replay.

Packer hasn't got a clue about a lot of the rules. But even worse than that, we had to listen to Bill Walton again!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Packer hasn't got a clue about a lot of the rules. But even worse than that, we had to listen to Bill Walton again!
I liked Greg Gumbel's suggestion that Walton wear the mascot uniform!!
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
reply to rainmaker's thread

I have to agree with you with rainmaker. I thought the officiating was good overall. I felt bad the crew in the Duke/Maryland. With such a big rivalry and then at such a big game. With all of that I thought the crew did a very good job. I thought they had quite a few good no calls. Yes, I do agree with you about Packer and Walton. Oh well, I am so busy watching the officiating I have learned to tune them out.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2001, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Not as impressed....

In general, I was not exceeding impressed with the officiating. Mainly this is because of the non-calls in the middle of the court. Normally when someone trips someone or pushes them down, a foul is called. I don't recall specific plays there, but that's my general impression.

You asked about the Dunleavy block. I don't know the player names, but if that's the one I think it is (multiple replays and considerable talk about no contact), it was a foul. Notice the L comes out and immediately shows all that the foul was on the fore-arm. In the replay from over the defender's back, at the bottom of the screen, you could see that the defender hit the shooter's fore-arm with his arm, before the ball contact. The arm contact resulted in pulling the shooter's hand/arm away from the ball. It was a great call.

I didn't catch the elbow hold on Baxter's 5th, but the play looked very mild compared to what was not being called. But then, Mark had a different angle than we did.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2001, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Cool I was impressed...

In my humble opinion, until I am officiating at that level and asked to do the Final four. You won't hear me say a thing about the officiating. IMHO unless we are doing that game we don't have room to talk. Just some thoughts...

My two sense!
Old Tue Apr 03, 2001, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Re: Not as impressed....

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
In general, I was not exceeding impressed with the officiating. Mainly this is because of the non-calls in the middle of the court. Normally when someone trips someone or pushes them down, a foul is called. I don't recall specific plays there, but that's my general impression.

You asked about the Dunleavy block. I don't know the player names, but if that's the one I think it is (multiple replays and considerable talk about no contact), it was a foul. Notice the L comes out and immediately shows all that the foul was on the fore-arm. In the replay from over the defender's back, at the bottom of the screen, you could see that the defender hit the shooter's fore-arm with his arm, before the ball contact. The arm contact resulted in pulling the shooter's hand/arm away from the ball. It was a great call.

I didn't catch the elbow hold on Baxter's 5th, but the play looked very mild compared to what was not being called. But then, Mark had a different angle than we did.
Yes, I agree with Mr. Ogg, however, on this forum, if you don't have 10 examples to back you up, you get "flogged" by the rest of the members.

The 5th foul on Baxter was a ridiculous call! I do remember that VERY well. I wonder if that official had said anything to Baxter during the game if he actually saw Baxter doing that earlier. The defender (Boozer, I believe) wasn't even trying to get around Baxter. What a shame that that was the 5th foul!
Old Tue Apr 03, 2001, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Not as impressed....

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
Thanks for this, Richard, I didn't look at the elbow region, and Ido have it on tape, so I'll go look again.

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
The 5th foul on Baxter was a ridiculous call! I do remember that VERY well. I wonder if that official had said anything to Baxter during the game if he actually saw Baxter doing that earlier. The defender (Boozer, I believe) wasn't even trying to get around Baxter. What a shame that that was the 5th foul!
I suppose it's at least possible that the ref saw something on this play that we hadn't, as on the play above....
Old Tue Apr 03, 2001, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Juules

I think there was probably a lot more to this play than what we saw on the reply.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith