The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 03:57pm
Esteemed Participant

So at the end of the previous thread about reporting #'s with one hand or two, the question was asked "How long until this mechanic...?"

Just got a memo with the new NCAAW mechanics, and the answer is this year...NCAAW officials will be using the two-hand reporting system this coming season...
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
So at the end of the previous thread about reporting #'s with one hand or two, the question was asked "How long until this mechanic...?"

Just got a memo with the new NCAAW mechanics, and the answer is this year...NCAAW officials will be using the two-hand reporting system this coming season...
I wondered if that was going to happen, since it was something they wanted done in camps last year, even though it was not going to be used during the season.

What are the chances the scorekeepers will be going to camps this summer to learn how to watch us better during this season?

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 09:02pm
If you need me, text me!

Unhappy

Oh boy! Guess that will make it easy for the coaches to point out who does high school ball when we forget and report with one hand. I can hear the comments now, "he's just a high school ref, no wonder he missed it."
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ocreferee
Oh boy! Guess that will make it easy for the coaches to point out who does high school ball when we forget and report with one hand. I can hear the comments now, "he's just a high school ref, no wonder he missed it."
It could work the other way. At my varsity hs girls games, I can pretend to be a college ref by reporting with two hands. Then they can say, "She's a college ref, and she still missed it"
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ocreferee
Wouldn't that require a coach to read the mechanics manual or something that has the changes??
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

How about just be able to read.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Rocky

What other changes and/or mechanics will be implemented this year?
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 09:43am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by brianp134
Rocky

What other changes and/or mechanics will be implemented this year?
Well, let's see...the experimental time-out thing from last summer, where you put the ball on the floor at the throw-in spot and leave it there (unless cheerleaders come on the floor in that area)...also, changed the wide-angle position to two to three steps inside the 3-point arc...also, no more lock-downs when the shot clock goes off, so we can still rotate. C still has clock...
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
no more lock-downs when the shot clock goes off, so we can still rotate. C still has clock...
Are they also going to do away with the lock-down in the final seconds of the period? I would think that if you're going to make the C keep that call, you better keep the C in one spot.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, let's see...the experimental time-out thing from last summer, where you put the ball on the floor at the throw-in spot and leave it there (unless cheerleaders come on the floor in that area)...also, changed the wide-angle position to two to three steps inside the 3-point arc...also, no more lock-downs when the shot clock goes off, so we can still rotate. C still has clock...
I hope they get rid of the putting the ball on the floor. There's just way too much that can happen; the ball can roll around on its own (and we're supposed to go chase it?). Or some smart-aleck fan walks by and picks it up. Or it gets accidentally kicked by the 4-year-old sitting right behind it. What's wrong with the official who has the OOB spot holding the ball?

Now, with a rotation with the shot clock off, are you saying the new C will have the clock after the rotation? If there are only a few seconds left in the period, how do we communicate as officials the "transfer of responsibility"?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
no more lock-downs when the shot clock goes off, so we can still rotate. C still has clock...
Are they also going to do away with the lock-down in the final seconds of the period? I would think that if you're going to make the C keep that call, you better keep the C in one spot.
If rocky's saying whoever is C has the call then this one makes absolutely no sense because there's very often 2 C's on a rotation.

If you're sayng that the old C rotating to T keeps the call then it's essentially the men's mechanic, which is C or T away from the table (the difference being you don't require the calling official to be away from the table).

As for putting the ball on the floor at the spot on a timeout...is this because they don't want to burden you with having to actually hold the ball for 75 seconds?
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
As for putting the ball on the floor at the spot on a timeout...is this because they don't want to burden you with having to actually hold the ball for 75 seconds?
(pant...pant...) I guess that's it, (wheeze...) because I've been working out all summer (gasp...pant...) trying to get my times up to that 75 seconds.

Whew...I've got to go lay down now.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
(pant...pant...) I guess that's it, (wheeze...) because I've been working out all summer (gasp...pant...) trying to get my times up to that 75 seconds.

Here's a trick I use: just sit down on the floor until the first horn.

Seriously, why do they want it done this way?
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 10:34am
If you need me, text me!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:

Here's a trick I use: just sit down on the floor until the first horn.

My guess is so the coaches know the inbounds spot when the officials all come together during a time-out. At the first time-out we almost always get together as a crew in our conference. Also late in the game we tend to get together to make sure we all know the situation/discuss possibilities. When this happens the ball would come to the group, now it will be on the floor 'marking' the spot of the throw-in.

Personally I like it.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What I was told last year was they wanted the ball to be at the spot where the throw-in was to occur, so that the teams could just look for the ball. In 3-person, one official should be at that spot anyway, but apparently there were times the officals had to get together (perhaps to talk about end-of-game strategy, or where we're going to dinner afterwards ) and the teams didn't know where the ball was to be put in play.

(Used with permission.)