The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 30, 1999, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Is there different rules between colleg, high school and the pro's about a shooter attempting a shot and being the first one to touch the ball. In th pro's you must touch the backboard at least, correct? What about high school and college?
Old Thu Dec 30, 1999, 11:09pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Yes - the NBA rule is different. In high school and college you can "catch your own airball".

Basically, as long as the referee determines that the player has made a legitimate attempt ("try") for a goal (versus passing to himself) then there is no restriction on that same player retreiving the ball - even if it has hit nothing!

The reasoning behind this is that once a shot is taken there is no longer any team nor player control. Therefore, the player cannot travel because you have to have control of the ball in order to travel.

Later,
Brad
Old Thu Dec 30, 1999, 11:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

quote:
Originally posted by matteo on 12-30-1999 10:05 PM
Is there different rules between colleg, high school and the pro's about a shooter attempting a shot and being the first one to touch the ball. In th pro's you must touch the backboard at least, correct? What about high school and college?

Bradley gave a good recap of the differences, but I would just like to clarify that in the NBA, the ball must hit the rim, not just the backboard, before the shooter can be first to touch.

Old Fri Dec 31, 1999, 12:36am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
quote:
Bradley gave a good recap of the differences, but I would just like to clarify that in the NBA, the ball must hit the rim, not just the backboard, before the shooter can be first to touch.

Thanks for the clarification - I didn't know exactly what the NBA rule was and I was too lazy (busy) to go look it up on their website!

Later,
Brad
Old Fri Dec 31, 1999, 03:13am
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

quote:
Originally posted by Bradley Batt on 12-30-1999 11:36 PM
Thanks for the clarification - I didn't know exactly what the NBA rule was and I was too lazy (busy) to go look it up on their website!

Later,
Brad

I was too lazy to look it up too. Maybe I should have. Tonight, I was watching ESPN Sports Center and I saw a clip of Baron Davis throw the ball off his own backboard (on purpose) back to himself, then grab it and dunk it. No violation.

Frankly, since none of us do NBA, who really cares what the rule there is?