The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

I have a small wager, what is the official rule on the ball going completely through the net on a shot?

and, in the playoff game didn't a piston dunk the ball and it hit him on the head before it went completely through the net and then it bounced back out and they didn't count the basket?

[Edited by hatrick on May 31st, 2005 at 12:30 PM]
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 12:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am not clear exactly what you are asking.

The ball must go completely though the net to count.

The play in question Rip Hamilton did not put the ball completely through the net.

I hope that answers your question.

Peace
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hatrick
I have a small wager, what is the official rule on the ball going completely through the net on a shot?

and, in the playoff game didn't a piston dunk the ball and it hit him on the head before it went completely through the net and then it bounced back out and they didn't count the basket?
The ball must enter from the top and completely exit through the bottom for the basket to be scored.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

I understand the question. In that game, it appeared Rips dunked ball did go all the way through the ring, but had not escaped the net before it hit his head and bounced out. Offensive basket interference was called. In HS, this would have not been a violation because it did get all the way through the goal.

Did the NBA officials miss this one or must the ball also pass completely through the net in the NBA?
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
From the NBA rulebook:

Rule 5-I-a "A legal field goal or free throw attempt shall be scored when a live ball from the playing area enters the basket from above and remains in or passes throught the net."
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
I understand the question. In that game, it appeared Rips dunked ball did go all the way through the ring, but had not escaped the net before it hit his head and bounced out. Offensive basket interference was called. In HS, this would have not been a violation because it did get all the way through the goal.
?? Isn't touching the ball while it's in the basket BI? Isn't the net part of the basket?

And, even it if wasn't BI, doesnt' the ball have to pass through the basket (or remain in it) to be a goal?

Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Perhaps you are right. I thought the rule said "ring" but it clearly says basket which includes the net (I think).

It appears as though the officials got it right, and the same call needs to be made in HS and NCAA.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3

Did the NBA officials miss this one or must the ball also pass completely through the net in the NBA?
If I recall correctly the officials did not call anything, the other team rebounded and went the other way.
Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 02:01pm
M.A.S.H.

Talking

Where's Billy Packer?? We need a rules interp.
Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

What if in a small domestic competition the net is ripped and on some occassion the ball goes in and comes out the side rather then the bottom.
Old Sun Jun 05, 2005, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aussie_ref
What if in a small domestic competition the net is ripped and on some occassion the ball goes in and comes out the side rather then the bottom.
In a game played between small domestics, I'd only count the basket for one point (or 1/2 a point if on a FT, or 1.5 points on a three-point attempt.)

Then, to be fair, allow the other team only to run 1/2 the baseline on the next throw-in.

Old Sun Jun 05, 2005, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aussie_ref
Small domestics?

Is this like the Bud Bowl?
Old Sun Jun 05, 2005, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

I think a small domestic would be like a midget housekeeper or a midget butler.