The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker

The Sitch: B scores. A1 takes the ball oob, passes it in to A2, and starts up the floor slowly against token pressure. Other players are loping on ahead. Center stays back for a second, and then begins to move downcourt, watching for contact in the center of the pack. Now, A2 and B1 guarding, move close to C's sideline. They are the last two players.

The questions: Who should have the ball? Trail, right? Does T move more toward that sideline? If A2 and B1 suddenly sprint forward still near C's sideline, so that they are more toward the center of the pack, C should pick them up? And stay where? How does T shift off ball, and where does T pick up?
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
In my experience, and what I've been taught from evaluators, is that as C, you keep your eye on the play, but give T the opportunity to make the call. If there are only two players there, then leave it to T. If there are five or more, get the call you need. T can come more onto the court to make the call, but if they are clearly in your primary, make the call. Just my two pennies.
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

If the ball is on the Center's side, the Center official has the ball. If everyone is in the front court and the ball gets trapped or stuck on the Center's side, then the Lead official should rotate or balance the floor.
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

The questions: Who should have the ball? Trail, right? Does T move more toward that sideline?

Yes. If you recall our discussion of a few weeks ago, Chuck and I are proponents of the 'volleyball line' mechanic. The trail should not be on the sideline when coming up-court, but should be about 1/3 of the way onto the court (where the volleyball lines are often painted), and moves in and out as dictated by play coverage.

Quote:

If A2 and B1 suddenly sprint forward still near C's sideline, so that they are more toward the center of the pack, C should pick them up?

While I think this is a HTBT situation, I would tend to still give first crack on any call to the trail.

Quote:
How does T shift off ball, and where does T pick up?
I would move further up-court, and try to get a wider angle to see the pack if C picked up the dribbler and his/her defender. This is a great example of where non-verbal communication between you and your partner works wonders.
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 02:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Where exactly is the ball?

Maybe I misread something, but I do not understand where the ball is actually located. This is also not a complete either/or situation. It is very possible that the Trail has the ball at first and the Center picks up the ball when his/her area is being penetrated by the ball handler. As the Trail official sees the ball enter the Center's area, if the Trail official has not seen the Center official pick up the ball, then the Trail would still be able to make a call. It really is not about who has the call and who does not have the call. It should be about who is watching the ball and who is not. Then if there is a call, make eye contact and decide (very quickly if possible) who is going to take the call. You just have to be aware that what the grey areas are and even if you have a call there is a possibility another official has a call as well. In those cases just take your time before coming out and signaling the type of fall.

Peace