The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

After my first year of officiating high school basketball, I went to our state's HS referee camp. My second game that first day was with a partner from another part of the state, also finishing his first year.

By the time the first quarter ended, he had called at least 10 "three second violations" on each team. Even more amazing is that neither camp evaluator said anything to him after the quarter ended so he called about 10 more on each team in the second quarter. Any time a player even hesitated in the key, his whistle sounded. Longest half of my life. Coaches kept asking me what was going on...... and being in my first year, I really didn't know what to say so I just kind of kept quiet.

The evaluators finally got to him at halftime and the second half was much better.

Z
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Two weeks ago I worked with a rookie official at a camp, and we drew to of the top teams in the U17 division of the tournament. Tough game for a rookie, and one of the coaches jumped on him early. The rookie got flustered after the first two minutes and lost all forms of mechanics. He started blowing the whistle and waving his arms frantically each time he made a call. No fist, no open hand, just two arms waving frantically. I knew the coach that was jumping on him, and I asked him to back off, since my partner was new. He was worried about winning the game, so he didn't care. After about five minutes, the evaluator made a switch and put a more seasoned ref on the floor with me, and we finished the game without incident. At halftime, I talked to the new guy and told him it happens to all of us. I'm now glad I'm not a "rookie" to this level of ball anymore.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Was observing a pretty tight game. One official was a rookie and one was not. The rookie called a good PC foul on A1 driving to the basket. He blew the whistle, gave a signal and the kid threw the ball at him. Guy gives a T which sets the coach off even more. He starts screaming and cursing (gets a T), which gets the asst coach going (another T). The opposing team immediately set down and shut up after the 2nd T. 5 T's and an ejection later they were finally reporting the violations to the table. The best part was the non-chalant way they reported all the violations. Both reporting in the order they occured and by the official who called the violation.