The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Estimates please. How many times, in an average B.B game, does an official blow the whistle?

Question: Would you use a electronic whistle? If it fit well on your hand and wrist (part glove part wrist band) and was not cumbersome.
A speaker disposed on the backhand side of the unit, and a momentary switch on the lower palm area on the front of the unit. There is a time delay function that eliminates sounding of whistle on unintented strike ( when catching ball for example), will sound on continued pressure only, while allowing a repeating aspect. To "blow whistle" you would simply close hand and press switch with fingertips. The sound would be a digital recording at same decibel level as a typical fox when blown hard.

This would free hands and mouth. Be much cleaner and sanitary. No lanyard around neck and no fumbling around to sound whistle. Would not have to rely on the breath of winded official.

Would you use one? TIA
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

I smell spam...
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I smell spam...
and/or a Thomison Edison wannabe.

We could also use such a device to stop and start the clock with another switch. We could also keep track of points on the scoreboard . . . . . 8-b
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 02:22pm
Suppref

Thumbs down Don't like it

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I smell spam...
and/or a Thomison Edison wannabe.

We could also use such a device to stop and start the clock with another switch. We could also keep track of points on the scoreboard . . . . . 8-b
Maybe just a hover device so we would not have to run. All the controls could be on the control panel and we wouldn't need scorers or timers either. I always liked the "Jetsons" What do you think Astro?
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

To be honest, this would suck.

You would never know which official blew their whistle/horn.

Besides, schools won't buy shot clocks why would they buy these things?

Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Gentalmen, a Thomas Edison wannabee.

If you will please, how many times a game do you blow? Thanks.

Brian, you would know which official blew, just like you do now. It comes from them, on their wrist. A loud signal.

Shot clocks are much more exspensive. Schools might want to consider the OFFICIAL WHISTLE for hygene sake alone. I just wanted to know if you, (the official) not schools, would use one or buy one. I see the sweat and spit and saliva and other contaminants transfered from all players, refs, the floor, and the ball - directly to the officials mouth.

This would free your hands and mouth.

Just an honest question. If this was available in a fair price range, and a very good design, would you want one or use one?

Why woudn't this be benifical to the game?
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 03:06pm
Suppref

Quote:
Originally posted by Steven

Why woudn't this be benifical to the game?
How much of a delay before it "blasts"? Does it stop the clock? What's a resonable price? It costs me $6.00 a season for a new whistle. the batteries alone would cost more. I do 140+ games a year could it handle that?
Just asking.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Not feasible

In theory...perhaps a good idea. In reality, I honestly don't think it would work. How many times have we seen a game where a mechanical failure of some sort holds up the game. Football, basketball, and hockey alike all have many times in a season that there's a 'mechanical' timeout (shotclock, scoreboard, horn...). What if your 'whistle' goes bad with 30 seconds on the clock with a tie game and you don't realize until you need to sound yours to signal that the last second basket wasn't any good...or to call a last second foul...or...well, you get the picture. Something that small and delicate is only prone to problems...and criticism. I don't think it would fly in the world of the Fox 40.

by the way, I'd estimate a good 50 blows per game.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Talking about blowing...I've notice some officials blow their whistle everytime (and I mean everytime) they have a throw-in situation. This isn't Volleyball where you have to blow your whistle all the time.

My understanding is that the only time you have to blow your whistle on a throw-in situation is after a time out or start of a new quarter.

Someone once said they do it so that everyone is aware you are going to put the ball into play. A good argument?

Regarding the electric whistle, what about officials that sweat alot, wouldn't they shock themselves..oh wait, we don't sweat, we perspire

Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

A) I never touch the part of the whistle that goes in my mouth during the game, so sanitary reasons really don't apply. When the game is over it goes into a ziplock (the greatest invention in history), so it doesn't really mingle with the sweaty stuff.

B) I don't know what a reasonable price is but it would have to be cheap enough to buy two. I never walk on the floor without two whistles, and those don't have any mechanical parts. If you expect the schools to buy them, I think it would be worse than officials trying to maintain their own. Look at how well scoreboards work.

C) Would it recharge or be battery operated? I think multiple batteries would add uneeded size and weight and would make me go broke replacing them. Can you see an official time out with 9 seconds to go in a tied game to replace the batteries?

Decent theory, but in this case I think fox has the better mousetrap. Try the NBA, they always like new toys + they can afford them.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Suppref. 1)1/50 of a second (approx. ) 2) No. 3) $35.00 - you would need batteries and possibly charger, depending on design factors; battery life being considered long -more than one game. @ 50 blows a game 140 games would be 7,000 blows. The OFFICIAL WHISTLE would be designed for a 100k plus blow life.

Dan. I have seen officials fumble with whistles many a time and fail to sound in time to stop play. This accually eliminates any of that fumbling around, it is direct. Size matters, ha ha - The OFFICAL WHISTLE is fit nicely on the hand and wrist and is very durable and reliant. This is a very simple design and employes reliable components. Not at all like the electronic equipment - scorebords, shot clocks, ect... Thanks for the estimate.

Brian and others. You can always carry a fox in your pocket for security sake. Thanks for your honest and straigtforward replies. Running the battery dead would be a concern if the official did not check batteries at appropriate times. Like smoke detectors.

Is not having to handel and have a whistle in your mouth alot any advantage? Comfort? Worth the extra investment? Not?
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 04:25pm
Suppref

That's a horse of a different color

Quote:
Originally posted by Steven
Suppref. 1)1/50 of a second (approx. ) 2) No. 3) $35.00 - you would need batteries and possibly charger, depending on design factors; battery life being considered long -more than one game. @ 50 blows a game 140 games would be 7,000 blows. The OFFICIAL WHISTLE would be designed for a 100k plus blow life.

Dan. I have seen officials fumble with whistles many a time and fail to sound in time to stop play. This accually eliminates any of that fumbling around, it is direct. Size matters, ha ha - The OFFICAL WHISTLE is fit nicely on the hand and wrist and is very durable and reliant. This is a very simple design and employes reliable components. Not at all like the electronic equipment - scorebords, shot clocks, ect... Thanks for the estimate.

Brian and others. You can always carry a fox in your pocket for security sake. Thanks for your honest and straigtforward replies. Running the battery dead would be a concern if the official did not check batteries at appropriate times. Like smoke detectors.

Is not having to handel and have a whistle in your mouth alot any advantage? Comfort? Worth the extra investment? Not?
I wonder if we as officials could actually use this item in IAABO sanctioned games. I think it might be worth proposing to the national federation. until then i don't think i would invest $35 for something i would only use for rc leagues. let us know if IAABO replies to you!!
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by JLK
Talking about blowing...I've notice some officials blow their whistle everytime (and I mean everytime) they have a throw-in situation. This isn't Volleyball where you have to blow your whistle all the time.

My understanding is that the only time you have to blow your whistle on a throw-in situation is after a time out or start of a new quarter.

Someone once said they do it so that everyone is aware you are going to put the ball into play. A good argument?
This is a good question for all of you seasoned officials out there. When do you blow a whistle to bring a ball back into play?

My two sense!
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by JLK

This is a good question for all of you seasoned officials out there. When do you blow a whistle to bring a ball back into play?

As was mentioned earlier, normally only need to blow your whistle on a throw-in after a timeout or to start a new quarter. Also after any unusual delay in getting things going again, such as player injury, player loses a contact, coach-referee conference, if the ball rolls out hte doorway and halfway down the hall, etc... Although come to think of it, most all these things fall under some sort of timeout (team or official) so may be the original rule pretty much covers most cases.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Denny,

Generally speaking, there are three times when you should blow your whistle on a throw-in.

1. After a timeout
2. To start a quarter or half.
3. After undue delay (injury, tech. foul, etc.)

The whole purpose is to signal that play is about to resume.