The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Less time on Shot clock, no closey guarded when dribbling. So why are the rules different, for high school boys and girls basketball in california.

[Edited by reggietheref on May 25th, 2005 at 11:05 AM]
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

In high school basketball, boys and girls play by the same rules.

In college basketball, money is involved and the folks in charge do what they think is necessary.

Why is everybody hung up on what's easier? What does it matter if it's easier or not? The same officials do not call men and women's basketball. It's a completely different group of officials. There's no need for it to be "easier."

It's just not that difficult. I officiate quite a bit of girls AAU ball. They play by Women's NCAA rules. I have yet to whistle a 10 second violation or a 5 second call while dribbling. It just ain't that hard.

BTW, welcome to the board.

[Edited by BktBallRef on May 24th, 2005 at 08:37 PM]
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 07:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by reggietheref
Less time on Shot clock, no closey guarded when dribbling. would it not be easer if it was all the same.
So why are the rules different do you know.
I think you need to be specific. The rules where I live are exactly the same for boy's and girl's basketball. The rules at the college level change. Now what you might have is a league or two that uses NCAA rules in some form. If that is the case the NCAA had decided to use some different rules and mechanics from an official's standpoint. The reason why is not something all of us are going to be able to answer here. There of course are many theories to why they are different, but the easiest explanation is the NCAA Committee has a Men's Rules Committee and a Women's Rules Committee. When you have two separate committees, you are going to have different points of view of what is important and what is not important.

Peace
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

In Iowa we have separate adaptations for girls and boys. I have no idea why we need them. The only adaptation that makes any sense is that we leave the bottom lane space open on free throws. Other than that, the adaptations are small and don't have any effect on 99% of the games.
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
In high school basketball, boys and girls play by the same rules.
Mostly. There are a few renegade states that have different rules for boys and girls. Maybe Reggie lives in one of those.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Nope, the rules are the same. There's only one set for HS. If he's playing som,ething different, then they're state modifications, not rules.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Not the Same

Careful guys when being so general with your answers. In NY, girls at all levels follow NCAA Women's rules. Boys follow Federation. Personally, seeing college is the next level, I don't understand why both boys and girls don't follow NCAA rules at the high school level.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Not the Same

Quote:
Originally posted by NCAAREF
seeing college is the next level, I don't understand why both boys and girls don't follow NCAA rules at the high school level.
I don't understand why college players don't use NBA rules.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope, the rules are the same. There's only one set for HS. If he's playing som,ething different, then they're state modifications, not rules.
This seems like a very debatable distinction. I think I'd get in a boatload of trouble if I didn't enforce some state modification, just b/c "it's not a rule". MA uses a different set of rules from FED. They're not FED rules, but they're still rules of the game in MA.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Does it matter? The bottom line if you are not comfortable with the rules do not do the game. You can control that part.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 09:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Nope, the rules are the same. There's only one set for HS. If he's playing something different, then they're state modifications, not rules.
This seems like a very debatable distinction. I think I'd get in a boatload of trouble if I didn't enforce some state modification, just b/c "it's not a rule". MA uses a different set of rules from FED. They're not FED rules, but they're still rules of the game in MA.
Um, didn't you just say exactly what Tony said?
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Nope, the rules are the same. There's only one set for HS. If he's playing something different, then they're state modifications, not rules.
Yep, he said exactly what Tony said, only different.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 10:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Quote:
I think you are reading into what he said. I understood this as Tony simply saying the NF is the only sanctioned rules for HS. If a state wants to use NCAA or modifications, those are not following the NF rules. I do not think he is saying not to enforce the modifications. I could be wrong, but Tony can defend himself. Just giving my take on the situation we are discussing.

Peace
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
No, I didn't. Tony said that there is one set of rules for HS games. That's simply not true. NFHS has written one set of rules. But those are not the rules that we use in MA. We use most of those rules with some different ones. That makes a different set of rules. Calling them "state modifications" doesn't make them any less than rules. They are rules here. So while Tony states that there is only one set of rules for HS games, I know of at least 3; FED, MA boys, and MA girls.

I'm not getting my fishnets all bunched up about it. Just an observation.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 10:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Chuck,

This is a debate in semantics. If you feel that is what was referred to, then I guess you have that right to do so. That is not the way many of us took the words. There is only one set of approved rules for HS sports. States and jurisdictions choose to use other rules to apply to their sports if they choose to. That does not contradict what Tony said.

Peace