The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   You make the call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/20529-you-make-call.html)

tomegun Tue May 24, 2005 12:19pm

Right-click and "save target as" the play called Handcheck.

http://thomass2004.home.comcast.net/

Would you call:

A. Handcheck
B. Push (from stepping on the feet)
C. No call

ChuckElias Tue May 24, 2005 12:31pm

I don't think it matters what you call it as long you have a foul on the defender. B1 definitely handchecked A1 on the drive, but it looked like A1 kept his path. Once A1 is knocked off the path, you have to take the foul, since the handcheck definitely contributed. JMO, as always.

refTN Tue May 24, 2005 12:33pm

In high school I would have had a handcheck because the kid was pushing him out. In college though I think you could be O.k. and I emphasize o.k. with a handcheck. You could have had a trip because that is a legal call and signal in the college mechanics, as far as mechanics go I would not have a push. I also think you would have been alright with a no call here as well.

mick Tue May 24, 2005 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tomegun
Right-click and "save target as" the play called Handcheck.

http://thomass2004.home.comcast.net/

Would you call:

A. Handcheck
B. Push (from stepping on the feet)
C. No call

Another good one, Tom!
I'm blowing the handcheck before the trip.
mick

truerookie Tue May 24, 2005 12:39pm

I have a push. Once the defender extended the arm out which I observed happening. It would have been the same thing if the offensive extended the arm out on a drive(PC).

bob jenkins Tue May 24, 2005 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally posted by refTN
You could have had a trip because that is a legal call and signal in the college mechanics,
Only, apparently, in the SEC.

I probably would have come up with a block.

tomegun Tue May 24, 2005 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

You could have had a trip because that is a legal call and signal in the college mechanics,
Only, apparently, in the SEC.

I probably would have come up with a block.

Thanks Bob, I thought I missed a new signal or something. :D refTN, I'm just curious and I mean just curious, how many college camps have you been to and how many college games have you done? Like I said I'm just curious.

[Edited by tomegun on May 24th, 2005 at 01:52 PM]

mick Tue May 24, 2005 12:55pm

Quote:

In high school I would have had a handcheck because the kid was pushing him out. In college though I think you could be O.k. and I emphasize o.k. with a handcheck. You could have had a trip because that is a legal call and signal in the college mechanics, as far as mechanics go I would not have a push. I also think you would have been alright with a no call here as well.
C'mon refTN!
Ya can't have it all ways.
Make a call... or not!
You've got 0.50 seconds! :)
mick

ysong Tue May 24, 2005 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally posted by truerookie
I have a push. Once the defender extended the arm out which I observed happening. It would have been the same thing if the offensive extended the arm out on a drive(PC).
In this clip, both player tried to use their arm to slow opponent down. Do you want to whistle them both for that, or only the defender? (assuming there is no stepping on the foot part)

Thanks.

tomegun Tue May 24, 2005 01:05pm

It seems like everytime you look at a play you see something new. The C should have taken a few steps up and this play would have opened up to him a lot sooner. He was a little too stationary.

truerookie Tue May 24, 2005 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ysong
Quote:

Originally posted by truerookie
In this clip, both player tried to use their arm to slow opponent down. Do you want to whistle them both for that, or only the defender? (assuming there is no stepping on the foot part)

Thanks.

Defender. I go with push. The offensive player is H$S past the defender which pushes him.

rockyroad Tue May 24, 2005 01:19pm

Quote:

I also think you would have been alright with a no call here as well.
Really?? Wow...the offensive player ends up traveling AND going oob because of the contact by the defender...so now we just call the oob and give the ball back to the defense? Good luck with that...

In my mind - it's a handcheck...the NCAA manual is very clear that using the back of the hand to try to redirect the offensive play (dislodge, displace, etc) is a handcheck...

Snake~eyes Tue May 24, 2005 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tomegun
It seems like everytime you look at a play you see something new. The C should have taken a few steps up and this play would have opened up to him a lot sooner. He was a little too stationary.
I agree, when I first watched it I don't think the C had the angle to see the initial handcheck. I probably would have passed on the handcheck but definitely called a block when he stepped on his feet.

mick Tue May 24, 2005 01:20pm

Men's Hand-Checking
a. When a defensive player keeps a hand or forearm on an opponent it is a personal foul.

Jurassic Referee Tue May 24, 2005 01:45pm

Handcheck followed by a footcheck.......

I don't care what you end up calling it, as long as you make some kinda foul call on the defender.