The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

I want to do nothing, but be an official in the NBA. I have hopefully set my life in order for success to reach this goal. I plan on reffing small college ball when I am a junior or senior in college. I changed my major to marketing, so I could be a pharmacutical sells rep and get off real early so I can drive or fly to my D-1 games, and if all goes well I will get invited to work in the NBA and quit my job.

Is there anyone else out there who wants to do the same?
Does your job keep you from being able to work D-1 games?

I believe that is the case for alot of officials. There are probably awesome high school and small college officials out there that their jobs don't allow them to work D-1 ball, therefore not giving them a chance to make it to the NBA.

Is there anyone who loves to do this every night of their life?
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

I suppose it would be a nice ultimate goal to reach.

I'm just starting college this year and hope I'll have time to ref high school games. It is fun to do and I love doing it, but no necessarily every night of my life. I do like to do other things as well.
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 07:28pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I would love nothing better than to call NBA ball. At a minimum I want to call D1 ball, Big Ten, SEC or ACC. I'll take baby steps first though.
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 06:05pm
M.A.S.H.

IÂ’m sure the pay is nice and it is the highest level of officiating, but it just doesn't get me going like D1. I would have to say that D1 would be my ultimate goal.

Edit: I can't afford to take long periods (4 days) away from the forum anymore. I sure couldn't spell worth a crap in this post.

[Edited by tjones1 on May 24th, 2005 at 07:32 PM]
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm with Tanner. I wouldn't turn down Ronnie Nunn if he sent me a contract, but that just ain't gonna happen. I would really like to work D1, tho.
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 07:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Just one person's opinion.

The NBA is looking for a "certain kind of official" to work in their league. The NBA knows who might be eligible to work in their league, you do not just apply and all of a sudden you are in the league. Either you go through their system or you do not get hired. It is really that simple. I for one am not pursuing such an achievement at this time and have not ever considered the NBA since my first year of officiating. Like Chuck and Tanner said, I would not turn down an opportunity if it came my way, but I am not going out of my way to get that opportunity either. I would much rather work a D1 schedule.

Peace
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

It's been a goal ever since the day I realized I wasn't going to play there (which I seemed to hold onto the goal of playing in the NBA way way longer than I should have). The security of the NBA contract would be nice but I still think the D1 college game atmosphere would be more fun. I think it would feed my adrenalin addiction better.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Security of an NBA contract? :laugh: They can fire you at half way or end of the season for any given reason, its how they write the contract that anything you do that they don't like can be a good reason for dumping you.

Old Thu May 26, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

I know it sucks but it comes with the territory of either being one of the best or not.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Security of an NBA contract? :laugh: They can fire you at half way or end of the season for any given reason, its how they write the contract that anything you do that they don't like can be a good reason for dumping you.

If you work that hard to get there then work that hard to stay there. I know you also need some breaks along the way but if the door is even partway open, I'm sure most of us would run right thru it.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

If you are fired from the NBA, you can easily get work in ANY D1 conference, pro league like ABA or IBL, FIBA, or North Side Baptist Wednesday night 40+ league.

Be very careful who you talk to about these aspirations. People will not give you HS games just so you can practice for the NBA. It's kinda like telling someone in a job interview that you are already looking for a better job.

Talking about the NBA goals can sometimes sound like you think you're better than those around you. Be careful not to sound like this, or make the HS or college level seem trivial.

One more thing, it's often been said that you must have "it" to ref in the NBA. Others see it in you and you can feel that you have it. If you've got it, then go all the way to the top.

[Edited by lrpalmer3 on May 27th, 2005 at 01:56 PM]