The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 20, 1999, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Thom
Had a situation where we were pressing full court. A1 tried to pass out of a trap and threw a high loopy pass between A2 and B1. Both players jumped into the air to get the ball and the inevitable collision occurred sending both players to the floor. The official whistled B1 for a "push". I asked him at the 1/2 how he determined the foul to be on B1 and he said that "the offense has a right to the ball". I had never heard of such a rule or judgement. Did he make something up or is there something out there I don't know and can't seem to find?
Old Mon Dec 20, 1999, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

[quote]Originally posted by Thom on 12-20-1999 06:32 PM

He made something up. There is no such rule.
Old Tue Dec 21, 1999, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thom

If they were competing equally for the ball it is a no call. If B made contact from behind then probably it is a call on B. The problem is that some referees (usually inexperienced or those who do not care to improve) think if there is a "Major Collision" you gotta have a call. No doubt if the referee does it correctly the coach players and spectators will be screaming and of course they will be wrong AGAIN.
Old Fri Dec 31, 1999, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

no call
severity of collision is not a determining factor as to a foul. It is advantage disadvantage
Old Fri Dec 31, 1999, 12:39am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
quote:
The problem is that some referees (usually inexperienced or those who do not care to improve) think if there is a "Major Collision" you gotta have a call.

I think that this comes from the advise that if there is a "train wreck" block/charge where both players go to the floor you need to have a call. A block/charge situation is vastly different from one where no player has the ball and two opposing players are both trying to grab the pass - each has an equal right to the ball.

quote:
No doubt if the referee does it correctly the coach players and spectators will be screaming and of course they will be wrong AGAIN.

Yep - happened to me today!