The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Daryl Long
Jerry City, Ohio

My mentor in officiating football and basketball is Henry Zaborniak Jr. who is currently an Assistant Commissioner for the Ohio High School Athletic Association. He is also a member of the NASO Board or Directors and in 2001 received the NF Distiguished contributor Award. His frequent basketball officiating partner was Dan Ross (new Commissioner of OHSAA). I would ref the JV basket game and then stay and watch them ref the Varsity game. They also watched my games and critiqued my performance every game. To further my education, they asked me to critique their performance also after every game...a daunting task for me as a new official. Needless to say I learned a lot, both rules wise and game administration wise from them.

I succeeded Zaborniak as secretary of the Wood County football and basketball officials Associations and held the position for 18 years until moving for two years to Florida and returned to Ohio in 2003. During those same 18 years I evaluated NCAA Div 1 officials in the Mid-American Conference and also scouted prospective officials for the supervisor.

My goal is to continue in my mentor's footsteps.

My points in mentioning these facts are:

1: Importance of developing sound mechanics and rules knowledge early in your officiating career.
2: Importance of developing good game management skills.
3: Take game seriously no matter what the level.
4: Remember, your performance not only reflects on your character but also on your mentor.
5: Always have a goal to what you would next like to achieve in officiating.
6: Become a mentor. Teach a rule in a meeting, teach mechaninics, go to games and evaluate, etc.

I am happy that many of the students I have mentored are officiating at/above the level I attained. Mentors cannot be jealous that the student will surpass him.

Old Fri May 27, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stmaryrams
Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
If you are an official in Ohio, please introduce yourself here.

Luther Palmer, Columbus
Hey Luther,

Jim Hammar - Columbus (COBOA and CWBOA)
Jim, you going to any camps this summer?
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Daryl,

What is your email address? I'd like to get in contact with you. Or email me at [email protected]
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

If any of you are looking for a good camp to attend, Joe DeRosa has a nice college camp June 16-18 at Kent State.

http://www.bluestreakcamps.com/derosabasketball.txp

I've been to it before, and so have several others on this board.