The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Is the ball palming rule different in NCAA than in high school? High-school rules require "momentary contact" to be legal.

What I'm seeing in the NCAA playoffs is dribblers bringing the ball downcourt, often with their dribbling hand down at about 5 O'Clock on the ball and the ball spinning in their hand before they turn it over and put it down again.

Also, I'm seeing NCAA dribblers trying to avoid the defense by carrying the ball roughly horizontally two or three feet and changing it's direction before putting it down on the floor again.

I'd certainly call some of this stuff palming or double dribble in high-school. Unfortunately kids watch this an then think it's OK. Last weekend I was officiating a 5th-grade tournament and their star dribbler was virtually down at 5 or 6-O'Clock under the spinning ball on every dribble - even after I called it several times.

I feel it gives the offense too much of an advantage. Is anyone else seeing this in the NCAA playoffs am I reading the rules too literally? Maybe I'm being too concered, since I come from a volleyball officiating background where "momentary contact" means exactly that!
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Wondering,

I totally agree with you. I am seeing the samething as you are seen and do not believe the rule is any different between high school and the NCAA. I also feel that alot advantages have been given to the dribbler when he maks this kind of move to the basket.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2001, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Wink Not like the intentional foul thread...

palming must not be a POE this year at the NCAA level!!