The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
Wink

Hello and Sahlom to all of you..i'm back!
i want to ask you something about a disgusting case that happend this last sunday in the israeli first devision.
The game was between 2 teams of Tel aviv, the euroleague champion-maccbbi tel aviv and -hapoel tel aviv, we call it derby...
38 sec' to the end of the game maccbbi lead by 15 points.
in this point, the coach of hapoel took 3 time out's (one after one after one) and maccbbi players become annoyed and few of them start doing pushups in the court during the time out because of that.
so the question is, should the refree's call for technical foul for unsportmanlike behavior of maccbbi players or not?
(in that game they didn't give a T foul)
if you want to see the video of that case, chek that link:

http://www.sport5.co.il/Articles/Art...&CategoryID=56

I know it's in hebrew but all you need to do is to press on the blue sentences in the middle of the page and you will see it.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 04:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

Sorry, buddy. I couldn't get the video to run. However, from the way you described it, I don't think a technical was warranted.

Really great to have you back, by the way.

Tov m'od.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Shalom back at 'ya! (How's that for an American greeting?)

Interesting video. I can understand the frustration, but I'm not sure there was anything unsporting done. Doing pushups, running in place, stretching, doing jumping jacks, all those things could be done to keep warm during the longer than average delay. I assume this was FIBA rules, so I don't know about the issues involving being on the court during timeouts; I did see one referee trying to get a couple of the players back to the bench area. But it didn't appear the players were doing it next to the opposing team's bench, so I guess I would pass on the T. Maybe discretely talking to both coaches could keep things from getting out of hand?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

yes, this is fiba rules..
i'm with you,i think that no technical foul should be call .but this act of pushups during the time out shows disrespect and contempt act to the other team.
ps
the chairman of hapoel ask the association to suspend the 3 officials because they didn't react for this disrespectfull action.

mark toda raba :-)
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ROMANO
yes, this is fiba rules..
i'm with you,i think that no technical foul should be call .but this act of pushups during the time out shows disrespect and contempt act to the other team.
ps
the chairman of hapoel ask the association to suspend the 3 officials because they didn't react for this disrespectfull action.

mark toda raba :-)
Did anyone ask the coach why he took 3 consectutive timeouts? Was there really a legitimate coaching reason, or was there also some disrespect being shown at some level on his part? And, of course, is there a request for this coach to be suspended as well?

It's hard to get a full appreciation for what happened without seeing the entire game, what led up to the timeouts, what happened during the first or second timeouts, etc. But, just from what I've seen, I cannot see what disrespectful about pushups.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

I got nothin. Maybe I'd get bored and do some along with them to stay stretched out.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 10:57pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I've got nothing but a bunch of players trying to stay loose.

If they are going to suspend the officials they better suspend the coach for requesting those TO at the end of a blow out, that is just as disrespectful if not more.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

No T-But I'd like to see the video to be sure. Can you try and post it again?

Maybe if they were running out and doing the push-ups in the center circle or something.

[Edited by oc on May 18th, 2005 at 12:23 AM]
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

If you click on the blue sentences you get a player, I clicked on the yellow arrows above the controls on the bottom and I could see the video.

The officials shooed the players doing the pushups off the floor.

Really there is not much you could do, unless you were certain the losing coach was calling the TOs to be a jerk.

I'm not giving a T to players being baited by the TOs, I'm either giving a T to the coach or doing what these officials did, get the players up and getting the game over.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

Never ever grant a TO very late in a blow out. Just fail to see the coach requesting it.

Now these officials didn't have that option from what I understand because in FIBA the time-outs are requested through the table.

Old Wed May 18, 2005, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

After you press the blue sentences you get a player, you have to click on the last 2 hebrew words in white, then you will see the video for sure.

http://www.sport5.co.il/Articles/Art...&CategoryID=56

i know for sure that the coach didn't really took the T-O because legitimate coaching reason, and there is also some disrespect being shown by his part, but after the game, he claim that T-O is legitmate in every second in the game.
look there is a big rivalry between the 2 teams, but this type of behavior is not appropriate.
so we all agree that no T foul should be call for this action.
but what is the limit? if they were running out and doing the push-ups in the center circle ?
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 08:51am
MABO Member

For me the limit would be when they start using the exercise as a blatent taunt toward the other team. I saw no need for a T in the video, and also no need for action toward the officials, they moved the guys doing the pushups off the floor and got them to stop. Officials did their job well, imo.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ROMANO
I know it's in hebrew but all you need to do is to press on the blue sentences in the middle of the page and you will see it.
bballrob - above is from the initial post. Once I clicked on that, I was able to choose the connection speed I had, and up it came.

(Used with permission.)