The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker

You've all seen that game show on TV that's a lot like Outburst. One of the questions yesterday was, "Which sport has the worst referees?" The number one answer of course was basketball.
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 02:05am
M.A.S.H.

Hmmm if the poll was international, I would say #2 was soccer (or football), if not I would have to go with football.
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

You've all seen that game show on TV that's a lot like Outburst. One of the questions yesterday was, "Which sport has the worst referees?" The number one answer of course was basketball.
That's because fans are more ignorant of all the basketball rules than they are of other sports.
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
I'd vote for professional wrestling. I mean, just when the hero is about to make a comeback, the evil villain's tag-team partner manages to distract the official. Dang it!!! Go figure...
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 01:51pm
M.A.S.H.

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by PGCougar
I'd vote for professional wrestling. I mean, just when the hero is about to make a comeback, the evil villain's tag-team partner manages to distract the official. Dang it!!! Go figure...
HA HA!! Good one....
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Quote:

That's because fans are more ignorant of all the basketball rules than they are of other sports.
LOLOLOLOL, this happened in a game today. 8th grade tournament with teams in town from 8 states so it's a very good level of competition.

Team A is in their backcourt and team B has their full court press on. I'm giving a visual count and counting 3, 4, 5, 6 and this woman starts screaming; 5 seconds ref, 5 seconds ref, don't you know what a 5 seconds call is? I started laughing, spit my whistle out and forgot where my count was. Then I overheard a couple of parents trying to explain that they get 10 seconds to cross mid court and she started yelling at them to. She was a hand full, and quite entertaining to say the least.
Old Sun May 15, 2005, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

A little knowledge

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Quote:

LOLOLOLOL, this happened in a game today. 8th grade tournament with teams in town from 8 states so it's a very good level of competition.

Team A is in their backcourt and team B has their full court press on. I'm giving a visual count and counting 3, 4, 5, 6 and this woman starts screaming; 5 seconds ref, 5 seconds ref, don't you know what a 5 seconds call is? I started laughing, spit my whistle out and forgot where my count was. Then I overheard a couple of parents trying to explain that they get 10 seconds to cross mid court and she started yelling at them to. She was a hand full, and quite entertaining to say the least.
Living proof that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. And most fans have exactly that--little knowledge!
Old Sun May 15, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

You've obviously never attended a HS soccer match.

That's absolutely no comparison. Fans are completely ignorant of the rules. Here are just a few examples of what they think:

1- Anytime the ball touches a hand, it's a foul.
2- If the ball touches the sideline, it's OOB.
3- ALL contact is a foul.
4- If there's a foul, it should be called, even if their best player is headed to the goal with an uncontest opportunity to score.
Old Sun May 15, 2005, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

OK, got me there

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Quote:

You've obviously never attended a HS soccer match.

That's absolutely no comparison. Fans are completely ignorant of the rules. Here are just a few examples of what they think:

1- Anytime the ball touches a hand, it's a foul.
2- If the ball touches the sideline, it's OOB.
3- ALL contact is a foul.
4- If there's a foul, it should be called, even if their best player is headed to the goal with an uncontest opportunity to score.
You're right, I've never been to a HS soccer game, but I've been to plenty of grade school games. Most of the refs I've seen missed the page in the book that explains that a hand call has to be an INTENTIONAL manipulation of the ball. I tell my players that when I coach and they think I'm stupid because it always get called, even when it's inadvertent. And having reffed some soccer at that level myself, I've seen #4 happen quite a few times too!
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

I gotta agree with mplagrow. The real question is which sport has the most ignorant fans. I would think that each sport has it very good officials and very bad officials. I know I don't have the rules knowledge in soccer or volleyball to say whether or not the officiating is poor.
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

I say this with fear and trepidation -- but being a three sport ref, I must sadly admit that some of the worst partners I have worked with have been in b'ball --- but I also think that has a whole lot to do with the fact that there are so many more of us, except maybe for football. As for ignorance of the rules -- soccer would win hands down. The rules are easy -- but only a small number of fans have a clue. V'ball would run a pretty close second. Again, easy rules, but most people sitting in the stands just don't know them.
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
I say this with fear and trepidation -- but being a three sport ref, I must sadly admit that some of the worst partners I have worked with have been in b'ball --- but I also think that has a whole lot to do with the fact that there are so many more of us, except maybe for football. As for ignorance of the rules -- soccer would win hands down. The rules are easy -- but only a small number of fans have a clue. V'ball would run a pretty close second. Again, easy rules, but most people sitting in the stands just don't know them.
Nope..sorry many of the people I do baseball with just don't have a clue. You have to love when your partner goes "Foul Ball! The hands are part of the bat!" --oops wrong forum. Baseball guys...who wants to make the popcorn on this one?