Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 16, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Re: Depends on the sitch

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
If you've got a quick whistle the second that two girls from opposing teams have a hand on the ball, nobody will complain.
You may be right that no one will complain, but this just reinforces bad behavior by us officials. If one of the girls bounces the ball above her head while keeping her hand on top of the ball, and we call a carry, no one will complain. If a player dribbles from the backcourt to the frontcourt, takes one step into the frontcourt, then steps back again, and we call "over and back", no one will complain. But these are all wrong calls. The same with two girls having a hand on the ball - that is not the definition of a held ball. So we need to be careful about applying the "nobody will complain" saying to how we base our calls. I know exactly what you mean when I see one of those scrums on the floor - I cringe as I get in closer, hoping nobody's going to come out of there with blood all over their face, and the coach is calling for some sort of foul, and parents are screaming that their little girl got hurt, and two other players start flinging elbows, and all hell is breaking loose...so, quick, we have to call SOMETHING to avoid this mess!! But calling something that isn't there just to avoid the possibility of saving something messy is wrong. The primary official needs to get in there to see what's really going on. Did the girl travel going down to the floor? Get that call. Is the girl with the ball excessively swinging her elbows so the other one can't grab it? Call that. Did the defensive player jump on top to try and get the ball? Then call that. Is the coach or one of the players trying to ask for timeout before the defense does get ahold of the ball? Then grant the TO. But let the play happen, and call what's REALLY there; don't make up something just to avoid watching a messy play.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon May 16, 2005, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Proper thought process and terminology should be - Anticipating the play, not the call.
While I agree that your awareness of preventive officiating skills and anticipation is commendable, if we start calling things that are "going" to happen just because the game could get "messy" then we are doing a disservice to ourselves and the game.
Granted, you probably made the call that would have been made a majority of the time in that situation, nonetheless it didn't actually happen.
There are so many factors that can go into this play(and many of them have been mentioned)!
Some other concerns:
Who was opposite table and were they far enough away from the action to "look through" the scrum to be aware that the bench may be trying to call a timeout?
What were the events leading up to the individual ending up on the floor?

There are so many things to look at, I just brought up a couple.
Thanks for thread!
AAR
Old Mon May 16, 2005, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
The very nature of girls basketball means that some times it is unpredictable. Because of this, don't jump the call because you think you know what might happen. In the situation that you mentioned, all types of stuff could happen before a jump ball, i.e. a foul by the defense, a player control foul, a travel, a timeout, a pass; just to name a few. I would say you need to watch very intensely and be prepared for any of those things to happen, and then call it when it does. While I think your intent is commendable, it may not be necessary. A lot of times, we as officials anticipate a call like that to save ourselves trouble, rather than doing it for the girls. If you are trying to protect the girl on the floor, that is one thing, if you are just trying to avoid an ugly play that is difficult to officiate, that is another. Either way, to echo the other posts, anticipate the play, not the call.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Depends on the sitch

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
If you've got a quick whistle the second that two girls from opposing teams have a hand on the ball, nobody will complain.
You may be right that no one will complain, but this just reinforces bad behavior by us officials. If one of the girls bounces the ball above her head while keeping her hand on top of the ball, and we call a carry, no one will complain. If a player dribbles from the backcourt to the frontcourt, takes one step into the frontcourt, then steps back again, and we call "over and back", no one will complain. But these are all wrong calls. The same with two girls having a hand on the ball - that is not the definition of a held ball. So we need to be careful about applying the "nobody will complain" saying to how we base our calls. I know exactly what you mean when I see one of those scrums on the floor - I cringe as I get in closer, hoping nobody's going to come out of there with blood all over their face, and the coach is calling for some sort of foul, and parents are screaming that their little girl got hurt, and two other players start flinging elbows, and all hell is breaking loose...so, quick, we have to call SOMETHING to avoid this mess!! But calling something that isn't there just to avoid the possibility of saving something messy is wrong. The primary official needs to get in there to see what's really going on. Did the girl travel going down to the floor? Get that call. Is the girl with the ball excessively swinging her elbows so the other one can't grab it? Call that. Did the defensive player jump on top to try and get the ball? Then call that. Is the coach or one of the players trying to ask for timeout before the defense does get ahold of the ball? Then grant the TO. But let the play happen, and call what's REALLY there; don't make up something just to avoid watching a messy play.
OK, let me redeem myself here. Obviously, whether people will complain or not doesn't matter in how you call the game. If it did, you may as well hang up the whistle. I will admit that my whistle comes a little more quickly in a scrum in the interest of protecting the players and keeping the game under control. Nobody has ever criticized a quicker whistle in that situation. Maybe you disagree with that philosophy. My point was that I think coaches, parents, and players all understand, and even expect you to be watching closely for the first reason to put an end to the mess. I've seen games get out of hand when there's a series of out-of-control plays. Frustration runs higher and you can lose control. Do I invent calls? No. But I'm looking a little more intently at those plays.