The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Did anyone see that rip hamilton dunk, in and out after bouncing off head. I heard that Bernie Fryer explained that technically it was offensive Basket Interference.

If you are confused just watch SC, I'm sure there showing it! Has anyone ever seen anything like this; and is there any rule difference in Fed or NCAA?
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 03:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGref
Did anyone see that rip hamilton dunk, in and out after bouncing off head. I heard that Bernie Fryer explained that technically it was offensive Basket Interference.

If you are confused just watch SC, I'm sure there showing it! Has anyone ever seen anything like this; and is there any rule difference in Fed or NCAA?

For those who haven't seen the play, Hamilton tries to dunk, but the ball bounces off his head before it completely passes through the net and back out of the basket.

It was unusual, but not really that big of a deal. I've actually seen this happen twice before.

In the NFHS and NCAA the rule is the same. The call is basket interference by the offensive player because he touched the ball while it was within the basket.

I don't know if the violation was called during the game or not because I only saw the SportsCenter highlight.

PS I'll get this before rainmaker does: "I'm sure they're showing it!"
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGref

Where've you been, under a rock?

The same thing happened in the Duke-Mich. St. game in the NCAA tourney. The ball must come completely through the basket in order for a goal to be scored. The rule is the same in the NBA, NCAA, and NFHS.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Well, in his defense, the ball did not hit Sheldon Williams in the head. So, it wasn't exactly the same. I think we agreed that the Duke play was incorrectly called BI although it was not a proper goal.

This one truly was offensive BI.