The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 25, 1999, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

College officials, how well do you know the double foul rules?

College Rules #1: AP arrow pointing to Team B. Team A has the ball (as usual) when a double foul is called. Who gets the ball and what happens to the shot clock?

College Rules #2: AP arrow pointing to Team B. Team A has the ball for a throw-in when a double foul is called. Who gets the ball and what happens to the shot clock?

College Rules #3: AP arrow pointing to Team B. Ball is knock out-of-bounds by Team B. A1 and B1 say some unkind words to each other and get double T'd. No free throws (no kidding). Who gets the ball and what happens to the shot clock?
Old Mon Dec 27, 1999, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

In both 1 and 2, the ball stays with A, and the shot clock stays where it is.

In 3 you go to the arrow to decide who gets the ball, and the shot clock is reset.
Old Tue Dec 28, 1999, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Thom
Is there anytime that one team or both would shoot on a double foul? Had a situation once where we were in the (1-1 And the opp. wasn't) and the official awarded us free throws and gave the ball to the opp. based on the possesion arrow. I thought it was wrong but the other coach seemed satisfied so I thought maybe I didn't know the rule.
Old Tue Dec 28, 1999, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Unhappy

That was a huge mistake. The double foul is always treated as a held ball. The current fad(rule) is the pocession arrow. In a bygone era we would have had a jump ball:-(.
Old Wed Dec 29, 1999, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

quote:
Originally posted by Thom on 12-28-1999 01:11 PM
Is there anytime that one team or both would shoot on a double foul? Had a situation once where we were in the (1-1 And the opp. wasn't) and the official awarded us free throws and gave the ball to the opp. based on the possesion arrow. I thought it was wrong but the other coach seemed satisfied so I thought maybe I didn't know the rule.

Well in a way the ref was right.....what you have here is what is called a false double foul. If because of the foul call one of the teams is in the bonus, then you shoot the shots. However, you play it like it was a normal 1-1 and the arrow stays the way it was before the foul. Now if both teams are in the bonus, then you shot the team who has the ball first, then shot the defense shots after that. I AM TALKING COLLEGE RULES ONLY HERE, which is where this whole text started.
Old Wed Dec 29, 1999, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Dennis,

Don't you have to have a second foul occur following the first, but not simultaenously, to have a false double foul?

I had to re-read the NCAA rulebook to note these differences. ATTENTION ALL HIGH SCHOOL REFEREES. THESE ARE COLLEGE INTERPRETATIONS. DO NOT USE IN YOUR GAMES!
Old Wed Dec 29, 1999, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by b_silliman on 12-29-1999 05:05 PM
Hey Dennis,

Don't you have to have a second foul occur following the first, but not simultaenously, to have a false double foul?

I had to re-read the NCAA rulebook to note these differences. ATTENTION ALL HIGH SCHOOL REFEREES. THESE ARE COLLEGE INTERPRETATIONS. DO NOT USE IN YOUR GAMES!

NCAA rule book BI-18 section 14-f and h will answer your question.