The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 25, 1999, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

For the past couple years in college and now in high school officials have been allowed to bounce the ball to the player making a throw-in on the sideline or backcourt end line. This is a great mechanic as it allows officials to put themself in position first to cover the ensuing play, rather than handing the ball and backing away thus not getting a good look at the play. A friend of mine was not sold on it until he handed the ball on a throw-in tightly covered by the defense and something happened in the line that he couldn't see because he was too close. He now bounces the ball on s/l and b/c endline throw-ins.

Funny how we still see officials, college (on TV) and high school officials still handing the ball because "I can't break old habits".

My question to you is: Have you and your association accepted the bounce mechanic?
Old Sun Dec 26, 1999, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Gary,

For one thing, this is the first year that Federation mechanics allows the high school referees to bounce the ball to the players.

At first I did not think that it was a good idea, since I thought the players would not be ready for the pass. However, if you move far enough away from the thrower-in and then bounce the ball they are ready and looking for the ball.

The other item is this. What if the player is not looking and we bounce the ball to them. The incure an injury and sue us. Where do we stand? Should we have yelled to them before we bounced the ball? Should we have waited until eye contact was made?

This opens a can of worms in an era when everyone is ready to litigate because "Johnny or Judy" is incapable of playing at the level where they are assigned.

Any comments?
Old Sun Dec 26, 1999, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Silliman,
The mechanic is fine or the NF wouldn't have us doing it. The ability to get away and see the whole play and not get in the way. The players will get used to the administration when we do. Eye contact and a short plast on the Fox40 and everything will be just fine and if the players are dragging their feet put the ball on the floor and start counting, it will only happen once. If you remain within the duties of a referee, you are not responsible. Please tell me what kind and how severe an injury could happen from a bounced ball?

------------------
Don
Old Sun Dec 26, 1999, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Since our association has a strong college influence, we have allowed our officials to do last year, before the NF allowed it. Only once, out of 1,000,000+ bounces, did I bounce the ball to a player before she was ready. Most players (athletes) know there's a bounced ball coming and if you bounce it to hit there bellies, you'll be fine.
Old Mon Dec 27, 1999, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
In our association, we have been using the bounce pass in one man mechanics and in summer leagues so to use it now during the regular season is no big deal. I do sometimes still hand off and I see a lot of officials who don't call during the off season still hand off. I can think of worse sins in officiating then not using the bounce pass.
Old Mon Dec 27, 1999, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Don (Alaska Ref),
Examples:

a. Ball bounces up and hits player in face and knocks out front teeth.
b. Ball hits boy in bals.

Not likely but 'possible' scenarios.
Old Mon Dec 27, 1999, 09:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by b_silliman on 12-27-1999 07:18 PM
Don (Alaska Ref),
Examples:

a. Ball bounces up and hits player in face and knocks out front teeth.
b. Ball hits boy in bals.

Not likely but 'possible' scenarios.

How hard do you bounce that thing anyway? Also - what are "bals"? Are they things boys up where you are in Alaska have because it's so cold?

Old Tue Dec 28, 1999, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Mark,
You need to get a clarification on "bals" from Stilliman, i must agree with you, just how hard are you going to bounce that thing! I would also suspect that you would be to the side of the player and the chances of becoming a Dentist from that angle is real tuff.
Just for your information Mark, it takes real big ones to live in Alaska. LOL

------------------
Don
Old Tue Dec 28, 1999, 03:15am
certified Hot Mom tester

While we're on the subject - I work sometimes at a huge facility in Beaverton OR, which has 6 courts (not as big as the one in Tualatin OR which has 9, but it'll do). To prevent the theft of basketballs, they do not allow anyone to bring their own in from outside, but supply all balls used in warmups and games.

This past summer, I was doing a 7th grade boys rec game. Each team is supposed to get two balls to use for warmups, halftime, etc. At the half of one game, one of the teams grabbed all four balls and proceeded to use them to warm up.

One of the boys from the other team came up to me and asked, "Isn't there some kind of ball quota?" I replied, with a straight face, "Yeah - two per player, girl's league's different."

It took him a second to "get it", but then he started to laugh. He told the rest of his teammates, and from that point on, I was the "cool" ref. I guess I my level of humor is about 7th grade.
Old Tue Dec 28, 1999, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Red face

WOW!
You may want to be careful making that statement with today standards on what is acceptable.

If the player tells their parents, and you were the offical in a close game that his team lost, that my backfire.
Old Tue Dec 28, 1999, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Everyone,

It is obvious that I did not get new fingers for Christmas; they still can't spell.

Also, we need to read closer.

The name is Silliman, not Stillman. I've fought this for 53 years. And I'll fight it for another 53 years, 46 of which I plan on officiating in.

Old Wed Dec 29, 1999, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Bruce Silliman,

Sorry their Bruce, but my fingers can't type any better! This discussion board thing is real interesting, so many points of view just like the different points of view on any given play. I Love this Game!!!!!!

------------------
Don