Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 05:46am
Huck Finn

http://thomass2004.home.comcast.net/
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 06:16am
In Memoriam

Wow!

Kind of an obvious pushoff. Looks like he got away with it, though.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 06:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Wow!

Kind of an obvious pushoff. Looks like he got away with it, though.
I've seen weaker blocks by All-American Tight ends.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 07:51am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I remember the holding call.

It's good to see that it is still a crappy call.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 08:08am
Do not give a damn!!

There was a push there. I can also see why the official might have passed on it.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Oh my.

Someone's gotta call that one.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Looks to me like the lead might have followed the airball instead of staying with the rebounders. Gotta have a whistle there... might see retaliation later.

Z
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 08:55am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Oh my.

Dan,
How 'bout this as a possible train of thought?

Lead sees the contact and both players are going toward the endline and "out of the play". Though possibly intentional, the contact is passed because at that time the play was unaffected.
Now, when the pusher does get the ball (an the advantage was gained due to a long rebound), it is now too late for the offiical to call that hold/block.

mick
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 09:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Oh my.

Dan,

Lead sees the contact and both players are going toward the endline and "out of the play". Though possibly intentional, the contact is passed because at that time the play was unaffected.
Now, when the pusher does get the ball (an the advantage was gained due to a long rebound), it is now too late for the offiical to call that hold/block.

mick
Agree with Dan. You could be a l'il late(or more) on the whistle, but when the player doing the pushing actually gets the rebound as a result of his illegal act, ya gotta call it. I can see the L getting a heckuva lot more crap from his supervisor for letting this one go than if he hadda called it a l'il bit late. Definite advantage gained with the pushoff.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Oh my. It looked like the lead was in a pretty good position to see the play, if he was watching the play and not the ball that is.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

It seemed like a pretty obvious push to me as well, but I can see the lead not seeing it if they are following the ball. To me, this looks a perfect call for the C to make -once they've finished watching the shooter, there is not much other action on that side of the floor, so they wouldn't be reaching too far across to get that call.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 10:27am
Huck Finn

M&M, I'm assuming you are saying the Trail could call this and not the C.

Either way I estimate this play was no more than four feet away from the Lead and directly in front of him. The player used both forearms/hands to push the upperback/neck/head. The whistle could be delayed all the way up to the player getting the rebound.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 10:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
It seemed like a pretty obvious push to me as well, but I can see the lead not seeing it if they are following the ball. To me, this looks a perfect call for the C to make -once they've finished watching the shooter, there is not much other action on that side of the floor, so they wouldn't be reaching too far across to get that call.
It would take big ones, but I agree someone should got git it.
Wrong side of the lane.
Right in front of partner.
mick

Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
M&M, I'm assuming you are saying the Trail could call this and not the C.

Either way I estimate this play was no more than four feet away from the Lead and directly in front of him. The player used both forearms/hands to push the upperback/neck/head. The whistle could be delayed all the way up to the player getting the rebound.
Actually, I did originally mean the C. Now, my point of reference is women's mechanics, so it may not apply to the men's side, but we are taught that C and T should watch for rebounding fouls. Also, if there are no immediate "competitive matchups" in your area, you can "expand" your area a little, which could mean the C calling a foul on the other side of the lane if there are no players on the C's side of the floor. Now, when I went back and watched it again, I saw the C had the shooter and defender in the corner, but once the shot was gone and the C watched the shooter back to the floor, the push had already happened. So, in this case, the call had to come from the L or T. It probably should have come the L, but I can see why he followed the ball. Also, the T might've been straight-lined on the push. The C would have the best angle on the call, if the push would've happened a split second later.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Oh my.

Dan,

mick
Agree with Dan. You could be a l'il late(or more) on the whistle, but when the player doing the pushing actually gets the rebound as a result of his illegal act, ya gotta call it. I can see the L getting a heckuva lot more crap from his supervisor for letting this one go than if he hadda called it a l'il bit late. Definite advantage gained with the pushoff.
Yep, this is exactly what I meant. *Someone* had to have called that, especially when the offender gets the ball.