The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by proref27

There will be an adjustment period for any big change, but the sooner everyone learns it the better. In most major areas it is the standard. They have been using 3 person for several years now at the high school level in my area. They guys who know it are varsity officials. The guys who don't are JV officials, and you have to build a system to bring people up through. From learning at the freshman/jv HS level, to becoming more porficient at 3 person and moving to the Varsity level, and then possibly into college and pro level. Everyone has to start on the bottom at some point. Granted, this official had no business getting a tournament assignment if he couldn't work 3 person. The system in your area needs to be fixed to where this would not happen.
The IHSA is at least trying. They still have the requirement that in order to work post season you must attend a camp or clinic once every 3 years. I think this official was one that made it through the cracks, so to speak, because this was the 1st year of 3-whistle in the post season. But there are still a large number of officials that have little 3-whistle experience during the season because there are still many smaller schools that will only pay for 2 officials. In the larger, metro areas 3-whistle is common, if not the norm. However, there are a large number of schools outside these metro areas. The AD comments are almost all having to do with money, or lack of it, to pay for 3 officials for the varsity game. So maybe the only way the 3-whistle experience level will go up is to require schools to hire officials that way. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Also be aware that the NFHS has taken the voting privileges away from the states that are using shot clocks. Shot clocks are not recommended by the NFHS.
Personally I think a shot clock does enhance a high school game, boys or girls.
I know the flow in the college game is certainly better for it.
The 3 person system does have growing pains, i.e. Coaches not able to "to get away with" stuff they can in 2 person, learning curve, etc. but the difference it makes in the game is ENORMOUS. We all know this but the more we reiterate it the more we are conditioned to have this response when we talk to different entities in our respective basketball environments.
AAR
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Almost Always Right
Also be aware that the NFHS has taken the voting privileges away from the states that are using shot clocks.
I'm not sure this is true. It may be a myth. I talked to a bigwig in the MA Interscholastic Athletic Association (sets state rules if different from FED). She said that it is true that MA has been barred from chairing the rules committee, but that we still have voting rights.

On top of that, she said that our punishment is not for using a shot clock; but for using halves, instead of quarters.

That's just what I was told.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Also be aware that the NFHS has taken the voting privileges away from the states that are using shot clocks.
I'm not sure this is true. It may be a myth. I talked to a bigwig in the MA Interscholastic Athletic Association (sets state rules if different from FED). She said that it is true that MA has been barred from chairing the rules committee, but that we still have voting rights.

On top of that, she said that our punishment is not for using a shot clock; but for using halves, instead of quarters.

Yeah, I think you're right that it is a myth Chuck. I talked to the director of the Washington Officials Association and he said that the shot clock is NOT the reason that Washington State doesn't have voting privileges. In fact, someone on our state's WOA committee suggested a vote to remove the shot clock from girl's basketball. In the end, there was more support on the committee for adding a shot clock in boys basketball amid rumors that the NFHS is going to approve the use of shot clocks by state adoption.

Z
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I know all the new gyms and schools, or schools putting in new clocks etc. in my area have them. Some schools even have the LED lights on the backboards. I think everyone is anticipating NFHS bringing the shot clock in.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Yeah, I think you're right that it is a myth Chuck. I talked to the director of the Washington Officials Association and he said that the shot clock is NOT the reason that Washington State doesn't have voting privileges. In fact, someone on our state's WOA committee suggested a vote to remove the shot clock from girl's basketball. In the end, there was more support on the committee for adding a shot clock in boys basketball amid rumors that the NFHS is going to approve the use of shot clocks by state adoption.

Z

That would be great if you were correct. I was just going off of what somebody higher up in California told me.
I am all for the shot clock.
AAR