The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Before the season began I dumped my old run n refs and blamed them for all of the leg problems I have had since I bought them. We had great debate on whether it was conditioning or equipment. I voted equipment since my troubles started with them. Apparently they stop with them as well.

I used the new balance 608's and switched back to the sorbothane ultra insoles this year and my legs feel great. I am glad I switched and I will never use another converse shoe (with the bankruptcy will there ever be another converse shoe?).

Did anyone else try out new stuff this year that they liked? Before I went with the new balance I was going to buy the Reebok walking shoe, but I just don't think it would hold up to the punishment in basketball. It has a lot of cushion, and works great for those all day volleyball tourneys, but they still look flimsy to me.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 10:05am
Suppref

I had no problems

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
Before the season began I dumped my old run n refs and blamed them for all of the leg problems I have had since I bought them. We had great debate on whether it was conditioning or equipment. I voted equipment since my troubles started with them. Apparently they stop with them as well.

I used the new balance 608's and switched back to the sorbothane ultra insoles this year and my legs feel great. I am glad I switched and I will never use another converse shoe (with the bankruptcy will there ever be another converse shoe?).

Did anyone else try out new stuff this year that they liked? Before I went with the new balance I was going to buy the Reebok walking shoe, but I just don't think it would hold up to the punishment in basketball. It has a lot of cushion, and works great for those all day volleyball tourneys, but they still look flimsy to me.
I had ankle surgery 2 seasons ago so I have tried a number of foot care products. I also have very high arches. I used the converse whistle mids this season with the dyna sole inserts and really had no problem. I've done in the neighborhood of 180 games, including 13 this past weekend. With the exception of the expected ache for having been on my feet for 10 hours two days in a row, the shoes held up very well. I can probably get next season out of them. I only use kiwi paste wax not any liquids and they are in good shape. I must say that about 10 years ago nike made a cross training shoe that was all black and were by far the best shoe I've used for officiating. I guess there is not a big enough market for nike to make an officiating shoe, too bad.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

I went to the Southern Conference Tournament 2 weeks ago and 95% of the officials had on NIKE shoes. There were some big names at the tournament such as Mike Wood, Ted Valentine, etc. The shoes did have a large white NIKE "swoosh" on the bottom sole and a small white NIKE "swoosh" on the side. Very sharp!
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

The thing I tell everyone is that no two people's feet are alike. Find what works for you. Just because everyone else wears a shoe, that does not mean it will work for you. Do not go cheap on your feet. Be willing to spend whatever it takes to make your feet happy. Bad feet will sink you fast. Trust me on this one, mine got bad enough to require surgery and foot surgery is incredibly painful.

Buy good shoes, use insoles, buy custom orthodics, and trade out your shoes frequently. I buy at least one new pair of ref shoes every year. Your feet will thank you in the long run.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

I would agree that the Runnin' Refs sucked. The shoe was just too flat and offered no support. But I really like the Whistles. They've given me very good service.

I believe that Converse intends to sell it's name and the rights to make certain shoes to another company. But, just in case, I'll probably buy a couple of pairs of Whistles next season.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

I purchased and used a pair of NewBalance (807? 809? the all-black cross-trainer) this year. I intend to purchase another pair for next year. (I have narrow feet [10AA]; shoes are difficult to find.)
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Exact opposite problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
I purchased and used a pair of NewBalance (807? 809? the all-black cross-trainer) this year. I intend to purchase another pair for next year. (I have narrow feet [10AA]; shoes are difficult to find.)
I have the exact opposite problem. My feet are WIDE so I end up buying shoes that are 1/2 to 1 size larger than I need. (My feet must be flattening outward because of the extra weight I carry around )
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I think that the Reebok and I know that the Easy Spirt and Rockports come in wide. But again, they are walking shoes so I question their durability.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 01:19pm
Suppref

New Balance cpmes in wide.

they have cross trainers and walkers.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2001, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I have one pair of basic Nike Air, which my son-in-law bought me when he worked at Nike. I have one pair of Adidas (white) which I use for rec, and a pair of Converse Whistles. I trade around, never more than two games in a row in one pair. I also put in the Dyna-Soles as per this discussion at the beginning of this season. My foot and leg problems have all evaporated and I am never sore, and never in pain. Sometimes a little stiff the next morning if I do more than three games in one day.

I expect part of this is just good luck in the genetics department. Also part is the warm-ups I do, also partly I take Advil before any game or set of games. My physical trainer (i.e. sister!) has been an incredible help in this regard. I recommend the physical trainer above anything else!