The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

When we call out of our area:
Are we missing something in our primary area?
Are we talking about fists only?(No violations in someone elses area, right?)
What type of communications do you have with your partner(s) and coaches when you make a call out of your area?

It is paramount for the success of 3 person crews that we stay in our primary areas of responsibility.

Having said that, there are many shades of grey. i.e. Extending your coverage when there are no match-ups in your area, crewsaver situations, etc.

I am not trying to preach here but if WE ALL stay in our area, every crew will be that much better and therefore each game will be better.
Sorry for the sermon.
AAR
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Almost Always Right
When we call out of our area:
Are we missing something in our primary area?
Are we talking about fists only?(No violations in someone elses area, right?)
What type of communications do you have with your partner(s) and coaches when you make a call out of your area?

It is paramount for the success of 3 person crews that we stay in our primary areas of responsibility.

Having said that, there are many shades of grey. i.e. Extending your coverage when there are no match-ups in your area, crewsaver situations, etc.

I am not trying to preach here but if WE ALL stay in our area, every crew will be that much better and therefore each game will be better.
Sorry for the sermon.
AAR
Just how many brand new officials work 3 whistle?

How many youth leagues do?

The majority of officials on this board work most of their games with just one partner.

The question had VERY specific parameters and your sermon had nothing to do with it.

Sorry for the sermon.

To answer the origional question. Go get what needs to be called and talk every chance you get. Be a great partner and lead by example.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

I always comment on "reaching vs. staying in your primary" in pre-game: "Our goal should be to get the call right. If I have a 'brain-cramp' and miss something obvious or I just didn't see it, come into my area and get it if it's a 'must-get' foul. If it's a boderline or not that obvious, leave it alone".

IMHO, of course it's best to stay in your primary, but sometimes to have to "reach" to get the call right and maintain the game's flow.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 01:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

The majority of officials on this board work most of their games with just one partner.

The question had VERY specific parameters and your sermon had nothing to do with it.

Sorry for the sermon.

To answer the origional question. Go get what needs to be called and talk every chance you get. Be a great partner and lead by example.
How do you know the majority of officials on this board work with one partner? I have not gotten that impression from being here. I hear a lot of officials say they work with different people. Actually I would bet that very few have the opportunity to work with one person in all their games.

Peace

Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Sorry for the sermon.

How do you know the majority of officials on this board work with one partner? I have not gotten that impression from being here. I hear a lot of officials say they work with different people. Actually I would bet that very few have the opportunity to work with one person in all their games.

Peace

Your comprehension skills off today?

Try to follow along.

Ref18 asked about having a partner not calling anything in a 2 OFFICIAL CREW.

Almost always right preached about staying in your primary in a 3 OFFICIAL CREW.

I then asked how many new officials work 3 whistle?

How many youth leagues hire 3 officials?

I then pointed out that the majority of the officials on this board work most of their games with one partner.

What could I possibly mean?
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 02:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Try to follow along.

Almost always right preached about staying in your primary in a 3 OFFICIAL CREW.

I then pointed out that the majority of the officials on this board work most of their games with one partner.

Did you actually read my post? I did not say anything about 3 person crews as compared 2 person crews. I only said that I do not believe most people work with only one partner. When you talk about one partner, that meant to me that you do not work with other people during the year. If that is not what you meant, you did not make that very clear.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Try to follow along.

Did you actually read my post? I did not say anything about 3 person crews as compared 2 person crews. I only said that I do not believe most people work with only one partner. When you talk about one partner, that meant to me that you do not work with other people during the year. If that is not what you meant, you did not make that very clear.

Peace
Context is they key, and it was clear.

Ref18 was talking about a SINGLE partner in a two whistle crew.

Almost Always Right ranted about staying in your primary giving a specific example of a THREE WHISTLE CREW.

I pointed out how we were talking about lower level games with new officials and THREE OFFICIALS had nothing to do with the question.

I'll make it simple for you. If you are working 3 whistle you have TWO PARTNERS, if you are working 2 whistle you have ONE PARTNER.The single partner is constant, the person that is that partner is not.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 02:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Almost Always Right ranted about staying in your primary giving a specific example of a THREE WHISTLE CREW.

I pointed out how we were talking about lower level games with new officials and THREE OFFICIALS had nothing to do with the question.

I'll make it simple for you. If you are working 3 whistle you have TWO PARTNERS, if you are working 2 whistle you have ONE PARTNER.The single partner is constant, the person that is that partner is not.
I realize that you seemed to have issues, so I will stand by what I said. You are assuming a lot. Yes, young officials in my area work 3 person more than they probably do in your area. I guess it just depends on what you consider young? Staying in your primary has very similar philosophies with both 2 person and 3 person. I know officials that are even more fanatical about staying in your area in a 2 person crew than they ever are about working 3 person. In order to be a good 3 person official, you have to have a good understanding of 2 person mechanics.

I am sorry that this is such a hot topic for you. It really is not that big of a deal.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

I realize that you seemed to have issues, so I will stand by what I said. You are assuming a lot. Yes, young officials in my area work 3 person more than they probably do in your area. I guess it just depends on what you consider young? Staying in your primary has very similar philosophies with both 2 person and 3 person. I know officials that are even more fanatical about staying in your area in a 2 person crew than they ever are about working 3 person. In order to be a good 3 person official, you have to have a good understanding of 2 person mechanics.

I am sorry that this is such a hot topic for you. It really is not that big of a deal.

Peace
You completely misunderstood a very simple thing and I'm the one with issues?

Also Mr.Comprehension, since you seem hug up on EXACT language, care to show me where I said young officials?

I said brand new officials and youth leagues. An official can be YOUNG and experienced or OLD and a new official.

[Edited by blindzebra on Apr 6th, 2005 at 04:08 PM]
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

One thing that bears making clear (and I apologize if somebody brought this out already): the discussion of to-reach-or-not-to-reach has to be qualified. That is a discussion that assumes a partnership of equals. In the case of a very weak partner, then the strong partner needs to step up and do what is required for the game. But even with that, I would suggest that you only reach as much as is needed to take care of the game. Don't bail the weak partner out on every call, but do go get those things that will damage the game.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 08:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

You completely misunderstood a very simple thing and I'm the one with issues?
You have issues by the way you acted about it. I asked you a question and you went off like you are a kid that did not get his chocolate. People ask questions to get clarification.

Quote:
Also Mr.Comprehension, since you seem hug up on EXACT language, care to show me where I said young officials?

I said brand new officials and youth leagues. An official can be YOUNG and experienced or OLD and a new official.

I did not realize that was such a big deal. I do not consider the comment "younger officials" to have much to do with age. I would not call an official that is in their 20s and has more than 10 years of experience, "younger." I have a good friend that is an official that has been working longer than I have and is about 4 years younger than I am. Maybe if you are in your 50s, you might think differently. I also do not know the age of the individual in question and it does not matter. All I know is you asked should you do with a "less experienced" official. There was no reference to 2 person only mechanics or what to do in 3 Person as compared to 2 person. I work mostly 3 Person so most of my answers are with those mechanics in mind. I am sure there are others that think the same way. Sorry if that offended you.

Peace