The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 03:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

I had a coach some years ago have this exchange with me.

My partner called a travel on the home team. I happened to be standing in front of the home coach in a 3 Person crew. The home team coach immediately starting questioning my partner's call. All I said to him was, "my partner had a good look at it." The coach came back and said, "When I look on the tape, the officials are right 99% of the time anyway." I looked at this coach with amazement. I have never heard that before and never heard a coach say that since.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
Talking

I am 6'-5". In our state we typically have a girls varsity game followed by the boys varsity. During a timeout of a boys game, I stood near the cheeleaders on the endline waiting to administer the ball. an attractive girl who had played in the girls game and was now cheerleading said to me "You sure are tall, if I was as big as you do you think I could dominate you?" I thought, but didn't say, Oh baby! You don't have to be big to dominate me!
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 06:19pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Good no call.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

More on the humorous side

This past year I was working a soroity playoff game. White is bringing the ball down court and blue 25 is running down the court to get back on defense. The white player moves to one side to try to get around her defender and into blue 25's path. Blue 25, who , it seemed, had time to see white move and space to get around her, the runs right into white. I call a foul and report it: Blue 2-5, Push, White ball. Blue 25 then turns to me with a stunned look on her face and says "But I ran into her!"
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
I know, I know this is a technicality, but the "punch" is still only according to the rule book used for team control fouls which I am assuming that if a girl with the ball is dribbling and runs over the other player that it is a team control foul and not a player control foul.

The punch is used for both in womens NCAA and the NBA. There is a player control in women's NCAA. In the NBA it is just called a charge, there is no "player control" in the rule book. Both use the punch and it is a better mechanic. Many men's officials no longer use the head behind the head but use a modified fist with their finger out pointing the other way. In the SEC they are allowed to use the punch.

Personally I like the punch a lot better.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2005, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

I think I know who you are proref27 and if your first name starts with a D please tell me because I would so love to talk to you a little more on lots of different topics.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 04:20am
Official Forum Member

Both NCAA Men's and Women's basketball have a player control and a team control foul rule. A player control foul is exactly the same as team control foul, except the foul is on a player with the ball. The only main difference between Men's and Women's basketball in this area is the fact that the Men's side does not apply the airborne shooter rule the same. Once a shooter releases the ball, if they commit a foul before coming back floor then it is a regular foul and bonus free throws are possible if the offended team is in the bonus.

The real difference is that each level has a different signal. I have used the "punch" myself during Men's basketball and I have never been told not to use it.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
I think I know who you are proref27 and if your first name starts with a D please tell me because I would so love to talk to you a little more on lots of different topics.
I would be glad to discuss any topic you like.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

My first question I have proref27 is do you plan on retiring anytime soon. It seems like what you do would be so tiresome. Don't get me wrong though you look like you could go for several more years. I love watching you and many others work and more than anything i would love to be able to hear how you interact with players and coaches because more than anything (besides always getting the call right) that is what I want to be very good at. If you have any tips or websites you could give me I would be very appreciative.