The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I was rooting for the Angels and Orlando Cabrera. Now I've got the Clemens-laden Astro's (a team I otherwise love) and the Carl Everett-laden White Sox (a team to which I am otherwise indifferent).

So do I root for a team that I really like, but is led by a traitor and a former Yankee great (Pettit); or do I root for a team that I couldn't care less about, except for one completely self-absorbed, unprofessional dope that I can't stand?

Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I was rooting for the Angels and Orlando Cabrera. Now I've got the Clemens-laden Astro's (a team I otherwise love) and the Carl Everett-laden White Sox (a team to which I am otherwise indifferent).

So do I root for a team that I really like, but is led by a traitor and a former Yankee great (Pettit); or do I root for a team that I couldn't care less about, except for one completely self-absorbed, unprofessional dope that I can't stand?

I feel the same way (although you say it a lot better than I could).

Isn't the Astros' shortstop, Adam Everett, the player the Sox traded for Carl Everett? And how can we forget the Bagwell for Larry Anderson fiasco.

I guess I will have to root for the Astros anyway because of Biggio and Bagwell.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David M
Isn't the Astros' shortstop, Adam Everett, the player the Sox traded for Carl Everett?
Wow, you have a much better memory than I do. http://www.s-t.com/daily/02-00/02-16-00/d04sp136.htm

Don't talk to me about Larry Anderson.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by David M
Isn't the Astros' shortstop, Adam Everett, the player the Sox traded for Carl Everett?
Wow, you have a much better memory than I do. http://www.s-t.com/daily/02-00/02-16-00/d04sp136.htm

You guys are a great farm system for us!!!
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 09:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:

Don't talk to me about Larry Anderson. [/B]
How about Jeff Bagwell then?
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
How about Jeff Bagwell then? [/B]
Shut up.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 09:39am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

LOL!
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 09:58am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
How about Jeff Bagwell then?
Shut up. [/B]
OK...then how about Freddy Garcia??

Oh wait...that would be me that doesn't want to hear about that trade...never mind.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Chuck, how do you like my new signature?

Still looking for the Gaffanino line. Would you happen to have it?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Chuck, how do you like my new signature?
I've been studiously ignoring it.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Couple of pretty good games so far, don't you think? I almost stayed awake for last night's ending. I have to wonder if Lidge can shake off this home run as easily as he seemed to shake off the big homer he gave up in the NLCS.

Suddenly everybody's talking sweep, but isn't the home team supposed to win the first two games? So we're not even going to wait to see what happens when the the Astros get home with Oswalt on the mound? Seems pretty foolish to me. I remember the Yankees lost the first two to the Dodgers in 78 and then won the series. The Dodgers then returned the favor by losing the first two to the Yankees -- in 81? -- and then winning the series. In '96, the Yanks lost the first two at home and then won the next four to beat the Braves.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it, even if it isn't the high profile match-up that some people would prefer.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, so the Bud Light and Mrs Selig comment broght me to this:

What's the deal with MLB telling the Astros they have to play with the roof open tonight? I can see them telling the team to close it in the event of inclement weather, say for safety reasons, but what's the purpose of telling them they have to keep it open, other than to negate some of the home-field crowd noise advantage?

Sounds like an obvious conspiracy to let the American League win again.

It's true...it's true...

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

couple of good games except for???

a couple calls either way, that i think should be REVIEWABLE BY THE MONITOR, and just so happens it cost the Astros! another ploy to let the american league win again!! I think the umps have had a rough post season, they have missed some key plays in some key situations, i know you can miss some things, but man have they struggled lately, more than ever!!
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 02:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
What's the deal with MLB telling the Astros they have to play with the roof open tonight? I can see them telling the team to close it in the event of inclement weather, say for safety reasons, but what's the purpose of telling them they have to keep it open, other than to negate some of the home-field crowd noise advantage?

My theory is that the MLB Head Office really has a secret department called "The Department Of Anal-Retentive Sissies That Have Never Played Sports In Their Lives Except In Middle School When They Got Picked Last". The sole purpose of this department is to piss off everybody that they possibly can. In the past MLB has given full authority to this department to handle matters such as various Players' Strikes(see 1994), All-Star games that end in ties, World Series games that don't end until 2:00am and any other situations that may arise. This department can also be leased out to other sports when needed; for instance, it is not that very well known but TDOARSTHNPSITLEIMSWTGPL also was responsible for the recent 1 1/2 year NHL strike, the just-implemented NBA dress code and the NFL tuck rule. With it's mandate of trying to piss off as many people as possible, the Houston situation became an perfect situation for the Department to be assigned to. You have a team that has never appeared in a World Series before and an accompanying fan base that is deliriously happy that their team is finally in one. Well, that was just too much happiness to be tolerated by the artist known as TDOARSTHNPSITLEIMSWTGPL.

Voila...... the dome MUST be opened!

PS- Little known fact.....Steve Bartman was an undercover operative for TDOARSTHNPSITLEIMSWTGPL.

It's true, it's true......

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 25th, 2005 at 03:34 PM]
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

What's wrong with the tuck rule?