Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Moonlight Graham's only ML game.

80 yrs later Kevin Costner's boring movie gave him an additional 5 minutes of fame.
What!? Boring movie? If the action isn't up to Jackie Chan and Steven Segal standards, then it's boring? Haven't you thrown away that bong and gone to your AA meeting yet? (Oops, I hate it when I keep mixing up my threads...)
Sadly, I lost my bong the last time the cops chased us out of the park a few years after Moonlight Graham's ML appearance. Too bad, it was a nice one. As for AA, I quit that when they told me that I couldn't put a shot of whisley into my coffe at the meeting. I mean really, who doesn't like Irish coffee??

Anywho...what bothered me the most about that damn movie is that suddenly everyone thought they were so clever when they said "Build it and they will come".

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
The last good "heartstring tugging" movie was Bambi. I defy anybody to look me in the eye and tell me they didn't tear up when Bambi's mother died.
Bambi's mother is dead????!!!

Geeze, I didn't even know she was sick...

Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The last good "heartstring tugging" movie was Bambi. I defy anybody to look me in the eye and tell me they didn't tear up when Bambi's mother died.
Bambi? That movie's so old; wasn't it in black and white? Didn't Charlie Chaplin have a cameo in it?

As far as heartstring tugging, don't forget to add The Wizard of Oz. After all, "There's no place like home." (Especially after a tough camp.)

But let's keep this off-topic thread on-topic. Woodie looked great yesterday. But the family and I got a chance to sit in once-in-a-lifetime (for me) seats at Wrigley - 3rd row behind home plate. It was awesome. Sunny, warm day, cool breeze off Lake Michigan, full stands, bottom of the ninth heroics, etc. But, I don't care how much you watch the game on TV, or even see it live from the upper deck, the seats we had really showed the perspective and speed of major league pitching. Hitting a jump shot with hand in your face is nothing compared to hitting a baseball.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 02:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
(1)As far as heartstring tugging, don't forget to add The Wizard of Oz. After all, "There's no place like home." (Especially after a tough camp.)

(1) Woodie looked great yesterday. But the family and I got a chance to sit in once-in-a-lifetime (for me) seats at Wrigley - 3rd row behind home plate. It was awesome.

[/B]
(1) I read a book by somebody(forgotten who) that talked about all the behind-the-scene stuff that happened during the making of the "Wizard of Oz". The biggest problems, by far, that they had during filming was with the Munchkins. Apparently the l'il fellers were half-pissed most of the time, and all they wanted to do all day was drink and try to boink the Wicked Witch of the West. True story. Of course, I must say Chuck was not amongst the bad ones though- he was a model of proper deportment throughout all the filming.

(2) Shoulda gone to Wrigley today. Milwaukee is currently kicking the snot outa them. And btw......Woods just went back on the DL.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(1) I read a book by somebody(forgotten who) that talked about all the behind-the-scene stuff that happened during the making of the "Wizard of Oz". The biggest problems, by far, that they had during filming was with the Munchkins. Apparently the l'il fellers were half-pissed most of the time, and all they wanted to do all day was drink and try to boink the Wicked Witch of the West. True story. Of course, I must say Chuck was not amongst the bad ones though- he was a model of proper deportment throughout all the filming.

(2) Shoulda gone to Wrigley today. Milwaukee is currently kicking the snot outa them. And btw......Woods just went back on the DL. [/B][/QUOTE]

(1) Good to hear Chuck was above board. Especially since I've heard it's difficult for him to be above much of anything...

(2) Hopefully it's just the 3-day DL this time. Sigh...

(Used with permission.)
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 09:24am
In Memoriam

MICK

It's OK to gloat. We won't think any the less of you.

Enjoy.
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 10:24am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up About what?

Quote:
It's OK to gloat. We won't think any the less of you.

Enjoy.
DETROIT — On the same day the Detroit Tigers named Kirk Gibson hitting coach, Magglio Ordonez homered in his return to the lineup.

Detroit rip the New York Yankees 10-2.

New York 39 39 .500
Detroit 37 39 .487

Lookin' for .500
mick
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Just trying to keep talking baseball here. A couple nights ago, my man Manny hit the 20th grand slam of his career. He's now in second place all time behind Lou Gehrig, who had 23. A lot was made of it on the overnight radio talk shows and I think it was mentioned on SportsCenter. I'm not trying to toot Manny's horn. I'm just curious if anybody really thinks that this is a real big deal.

I mean did anybody even know what the record was or who holds it? I didn't. Is there some particular skill required to amass 23 grand slams? Or is it just a matter of being a pure power hitter and getting enough ABs with the bases loaded?

Is this a big deal to anybody? It doesn't strike me as that big a deal, to be honest. But everybody talked about it so much, I thought I'd throw it out there.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 04:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Just trying to keep talking baseball here. A couple nights ago, my man Manny hit the 20th grand slam of his career. He's now in second place all time behind Lou Gehrig, who had 23. A lot was made of it on the overnight radio talk shows and I think it was mentioned on SportsCenter. I'm not trying to toot Manny's horn. I'm just curious if anybody really thinks that this is a real big deal.

I mean did anybody even know what the record was or who holds it? I didn't. Is there some particular skill required to amass 23 grand slams? Or is it just a matter of being a pure power hitter and getting enough ABs with the bases loaded?

Is this a big deal to anybody? It doesn't strike me as that big a deal, to be honest. But everybody talked about it so much, I thought I'd throw it out there.
Chuck,
Every grand slam is a big deal, from sandlot to MLB.
Approaching a record turbo-boosts the act.
Gehrig 1st, Manny (what-ever-his-name-is) 2nd? Yeah, Big Deal!!

Why?

"The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball." - James Earl Jones, American Rhetoric: Movie Speech, "Field of Dreams" (1989)

mick
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
getting enough ABs with the bases loaded?
Don't get me wrong - it's a great stat, and it certainly indicates that you've been around a while (with all the at bats needed to get one with bases loaded) and that you're a great HR hitter, but this is definately a team-oriented stat, not 100% individual achievement.
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 06:39am
In Memoriam

Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Man, one good game and you think it's a trend.

Keep that up and people will mistake you for a Cubs fan.

Oh yea, by the way, speaking of trends - that's 4 straight starts for Prior without going on the DL - that sounds like a trend to me!

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 10:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Keep that up and people will mistake you for a Cubs fan. [/B]
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Hooolly cowwww, I've just spent waaaay to much time to get to this last page! 11 pages, is this a record or what? Who cares about the sCrUBS any who.
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 03:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by TPS2859
Hooolly cowwww, I've just spent waaaay to much time to get to this last page! 11 pages, is this a record or what? Who cares about the sCrUBS any who.
The record was last year's annual thread, iirw. 20+ pages. Beat the year-before-that's thread by a coupla pages. The BoSox actually winning something put a lot of the usual posters into terminal shock; they haven't recovered yet.

As for the Cubbies?

Bwahahahahahhaha..........

Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

(Used with permission.)