The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 12, 2001, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Question

is it a foul either offensive or defensive ,if a player not moving his feet, bends at the knees before going up to either rebound or shoot, using his butt to make room before elevating.

appreciate the feedback

tperaza
Old Mon Mar 12, 2001, 01:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Verticality

Quote:
Originally posted by tperaza
is it a foul either offensive or defensive ,if a player not moving his feet, bends at the knees before going up to either rebound or shoot, using his butt to make room before elevating.

appreciate the feedback

tperaza
That depends highly on how much of the contact in the officials opinion is incidental or if it put that player at an advantage. A player is allowed his/her vertical space.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2001, 01:38pm
Suppref

Interesting

Quote:

appreciate the feedback

tperaza
If it is obvious that the contact is made purposely to displace the opponent, then yes. Although back when I played, (peach baskets, laced seams on the soccer ball etc.) I was taught if boxing a taller opponent to bend the knees and wait for the contact on your back then jump. this would leave the opponent off ablance and ruin their timing on the rebound.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2001, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

thanks for the feedback.

I'm from the peach basket era and i always used and still use this tactic taught to me by my sixth-grade coach. i was never questioned until recently by a player who i think was more embarassed by losing to someone old enough to be his grandfather. I guess if i have to accept what they call dribbling (i call it palming) then they will just have to accept "creating space"

thanks
Old Mon Mar 12, 2001, 03:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Question

Is what you call "creating space" affecting the play? Did that space that was "created" affect the player behind him by not getting the ball? I quess what I do not understand is why call a foul just because there is some contact. If that was the case, we would be in the bonus before the first minute passed. Contact is apart of the game, this is not the peach basket days. Player are much more athletic, stronger and can do things that player back in the day would never do. The reason is that if I can jump to the sky and out jump my opponent and I do not displace the opponent, why call something. I did not hear you say a anything about displacement, all I heard you say was contact. You also did not say that the player bending the knees was already in contact with another player. All you have said is this behavior illegal? And from the way you asked the question, I have nothing. To call a foul I need to have more information. I also need to know that there was not equal contact on the part of both players too. But that is just my opinion.

Quote:
thanks for the feedback.

I'm from the peach basket era and i always used and still use this tactic taught to me by my sixth-grade coach. i was never questioned until recently by a player who i think was more embarassed by losing to someone old enough to be his grandfather. I guess if i have to accept what they call dribbling (i call it palming) then they will just have to accept "creating space"

thanks
Old Mon Mar 12, 2001, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

more descriptive senario

offense: offensive player has the ball below his basket defensive player is bodied up to him. offensive player employs the afore stated tactic ie. squat to go up using his butt to move the defensive player slightly , who is bodied up, to create space.

similarly, rebounder under/around basket either offense or defense employs same space creating technique. is it a foul?

it would seem to me that it would be no different than boxing a player out using a spread-eagle stance. (squat butt and hands out to create the maximum obstacle.

perphaps its a total subjective judgement call.

opinions, thoughts and comments please

tperaza
Old Mon Mar 12, 2001, 06:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Again..........

I am going to have to know many things. If the contact is slight, I am going to leave it alone. But I am also going to consider where did the ball go? Did it go in or did it go in a direction that neither player would get the rebound? I also want to know who got the rebound if there is one to get? I also want to know, what kind of contact is the player behind him is creating if any?

I obviously am not going to expect you to give me an answer to any of these, but several things are going to go thru my mind. And if in no way the players actions are considered rough, or if the action did not affect the play, I pass. With a player that is going to box out, there is going to be some contact, it is not the contact that I am worried about, it the affect on the play it creates. If a rebounder backs out by pushing a player behind him and does not displace the player, I got nothing. If that same player pushes him completely out of the way for either himself to get the rebound or an opponent, I got a foul.

The problem with most non officials is that they see contact regardless of severity and want a foul. But the reality if that is the case we would have 5 or 6 fouls on one play. We are obviously not going to call that many, but you call the ones that affect the play. That is all advantage/disadvantage is. And that is why "Incidental Contact" is in the rulebook