The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Think this alternate shirt can be an "option" for all HS officials in ALL states?

wl
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Hopefully not.

YUCK!
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I saw that they wore them in FL for their state finals. I agree with Tony. Yuck.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
It just looks strange to me. I don't really know what to make of it. I think that it looks really old-fashinoned for some reason. I was initially intrigued by the grey shirt, but after seeing it tonight, I say stick with the stripes. To quote someone else, "I'd rather be a zebra than a jacka$$."
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
It just looks strange to me. I don't really know what to make of it. I think that it looks really old-fashinoned for some reason. I was initially intrigued by the grey shirt, but after seeing it tonight, I say stick with the stripes. To quote someone else, "I'd rather be a zebra than a jacka$$."
My thoughts exactly.
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

I bet "the officials choices" of the world really like them...$$$.

I don't mind the shirts, but the plain old stripes are just fine with me.
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
I've never seen a gray donkey with pinstripes. Where do you live? Any other really exotic animals there?
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

I'm not impressed with them either. Just caught the last part of the 2nd half, but did notice a lot of the players were wearing wrist bands -- the black/yellow/red rubber ones that are popular these days. During a timeout in the last last minute or so I noticed a kid with a bandaid on his ear. Looked like it was covering an ear stud. He was the one that keeping sticking his face in the camera.
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 06:52am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
I'm not impressed with them either. Just caught the last part of the 2nd half, but did notice a lot of the players were wearing wrist bands -- the black/yellow/red rubber ones that are popular these days. During a timeout in the last last minute or so I noticed a kid with a bandaid on his ear. Looked like it was covering an ear stud. He was the one that keeping sticking his face in the camera.
Uh, those aren't wrist bands. Those are rubber bands and they shouldn't have worn them. Another reason why I don't like to do all-star games. IMO, there isn't a grey area for that rule.

I work in an area where we wear grey shirts often. They don't look bad at all. The main problem with grey shirts is different manufacturers make slightly different shades of grey. IMO, about 75% of the officials that I've seen during my career wear shirts that are at least one size too big. This is done for various reasons (wink) but it causes grey and stripes to look sloppy. I think that was the case more than anything else last night. I just had a funny visual; an official with a shirt that is too big and some coach's shorts on during the summer! "Uh, yeah, we're going to have a problem with that."
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 11:59am
9 times

We wear the gray pinstriped shirts in a JUCO league I work in. I prefer the stripes.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 12:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

I wear the gray shirts in a JUCO league myself. It really does not make that much difference to me one way or another. I will say this about the grey shirts. I like the feel of those shirts when you wear them. The gray shirts are not as heavy and are much cooler.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

We in California made them optional 3 years ago. However the National Federation won't listen to California--we don't have an official rep since we don't follow all fed guidelines.....basically having a shot clock in both boys and girls since this is the 21st century, and they nixed it and won't listen to reason. They are much better material and I think look sharper...assuming they are tapered properly.

[Edited by socalreff on Mar 31st, 2005 at 01:44 PM]
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

do they show sweat spots thru them?
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 03:13pm
M.A.S.H.

I wouldn't mind them just for a change every now and then. But, I like the stripes over the grey.
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

The officials at our state tournament wore them and I think they look sharp. My wife thought so as well. Rumor is that my state (WA) is going to make it optional for the associations to adopt them. No complaints from me. Peace.