The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Wouldn't it be fun to work the McDonald's All-American Game Friday night?
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:42am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking off topic

Ever notice that when you go into a McDonald's (or any other fast food place), the first question they ask is "Is this for here or to go?" That's because that's the first button they have to push on their register. Next time you are asked that, answer: "It's to go here".

Usually, they look like a deer caught in headlights.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to have to go there today for lunch just to try that out.

I'm not sure if I'm starting to enter old-fogey territory, but working that game just doesn't excite me. Sure, it would be great to be on the floor with all that talent, but usually those types of games tend to be one-on-one dunk contests with the occasional no-look passes by the guards who can't dunk. There's no flow to the game, and the officials tend to be just baby-sitters. I would be willing to bet there will be NO off-ball calls that game.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 12:17pm
M.A.S.H.

Re: off topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Ever notice that when you go into a McDonald's (or any other fast food place), the first question they ask is "Is this for here or to go?" That's because that's the first button they have to push on their register. Next time you are asked that, answer: "It's to go here".

I think I'm making a special trip to McDonald's today!
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 12:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I used to run a McDonald's, back when I was in my early 20s and avoiding college.

I was amazed how unskilled the workers were. If the cash registers didn't tell them how much change to give back (or if someone gave them a penny or something after they had entered the amount tendered) they would have to call a manager over to "figure out the change."

Since this was in the late 80s, I'll assume things are no better now.

BTW, back then the "here" or "to go" question was last as there were two "Total" buttons on the POS units -- one for "here" and one for "to go." Yes, the cashiers had a problem using the right one, which was annoying if someone else was helping to fill their orders....

Ah, the memories.

--Rich
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

One I have used is "I'll eat it here then take it with me".....again the deer in the headlights look...

[Edited by cmathews on Mar 30th, 2005 at 01:22 PM]
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Is this for here or to go?"
Yes
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Re: Re: off topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
BTW, back then the "here" or "to go" question was last as there were two "Total" buttons on the POS units -- one for "here" and one for "to go."
I didn't know +POS made McDonalds cash registers.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 01:30pm
M.A.S.H.

I usually use this classic:

Me: Are refills free?
Worker: Yes
Me: I'll take one refill
Worker: Huh?
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
I'm not sure if I'm starting to enter old-fogey territory, but working that game just doesn't excite me. Sure, it would be great to be on the floor with all that talent, but usually those types of games tend to be one-on-one dunk contests with the occasional no-look passes by the guards who can't dunk. There's no flow to the game, and the officials tend to be just baby-sitters.
That's pretty much how I feel about it. Except that I am sure that I'm entering old-fogey territory.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 02:04pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm starting to enter old-fogey territory, but working that game just doesn't excite me. Sure, it would be great to be on the floor with all that talent, but usually those types of games tend to be one-on-one dunk contests with the occasional no-look passes by the guards who can't dunk. There's no flow to the game, and the officials tend to be just baby-sitters.
That's pretty much how I feel about it. Except that I am sure that I'm entering old-fogey territory.
Ther's always the possibility of having another Rasheed Wallace getting ejected from the game - that would spice things up!

And there's no "entering" that territory for me - I'm coming out the far side already...
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
And there's no "entering" that territory for me - I'm coming out the far side already...
So what's it like over there? I'm taking notes so I'm not surprised when I get there in SEVERAL years...

I tried to use that "for here or to go" comeback line at lunch today, but no one would ask me. And that's after going thru 4 different drive-thru lines.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 02:45pm
M.A.S.H.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Quote:
So what's it like over there? I'm taking notes so I'm not surprised when I get there in SEVERAL years...

I tried to use that "for here or to go" comeback line at lunch today, but no one would ask me. And that's after going thru 4 different drive-thru lines.

LOL, at least you tried M&M Guy!
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 03:11pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Quote:

It's a cold, dark, and lonely place!!

And at least you're not hungry anymore, right!
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

It's a weird game. Last year, there were nearly 190 shots taken. Lots of rebounds -- nearly 100, and way more fouls than you might expect; 33 PFs and 45 FTs attempted.