The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

I guess the official working the Kentucky game did not get Marci's memo to MTD.Sr. If you didn't notice, he had a "do over". Endline throwin and player receiving throwin moved his hands back to delay chop by official. Official anticipates and chops time in around top of the circle area. About one second ran off. Official realizes his mistake and stops game. He resets clock AND goes back to endline for a do over throwin.

Is NCAA rule different than Fed?
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I noticed the do-over. Interesting. Does anyone know someone who worked that game so we can ask about it?
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Even more interesting if second inbounds pass gets intercepted. (Also ronny it was in the MSU game....right Mick?)

[Edited by zebra44 on Mar 27th, 2005 at 08:35 PM]
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 08:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

First of all Marcy Weston has nothing to do with Men's NCAA Basketball. Marcy Weston over the Women's side. Hank Nichols is over the Supervisor of Officials on the Men's side. I think the guidelines are the same on both sides, but they do have different sections for Women and Men's basketball.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
First of all Marcy Weston has nothing to do with Men's NCAA Basketball. Marcy Weston over the Women's side. Hank Nichols is over the Supervisor of Officials on the Men's side. I think the guidelines are the same on both sides, but they do have different sections for Women and Men's basketball.

Peace
Reference to Marci Weston was done tongue-in-cheek, but the point remains the same. Did this official err by having a "do over"? Or, is MTD, Sr. mistaken?
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 08:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey

Reference to Marci Weston was done tongue-in-cheek, but the point remains the same. Did this official err by having a "do over"? Or, is MTD, Sr. mistaken?
I have no idea. I have never worked a game where a monitor is to be used. All it says is they can correct the situation. Unless there are some specific rules against it, not sure what they did was not following the rules.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 09:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by zebra44
Even more interesting if second inbounds pass gets intercepted. (Also ronny it was in the MSU game....right Mick?)

[Edited by zebra44 on Mar 27th, 2005 at 08:35 PM]
Well, ...it was Kentucky's last game.

Go Green!!!
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

If you were the official who started the clock prematurely in this instance, what does your "common-sense-o-meter" tell you to do in this instance?

Given the situation, I would have handled it exactly the way John Higgins (the official in question) did. Essentially say, "My bad. I had the clock start before it should have. I'm not going to penalize Kentucky 1+ second when there is only 15 or so seconds left. Put the clock back to where it was before we started, Kentucky gets the ball back on the side --- let's play...."

Per the rulebook, not the exact way to handle that situation, but certainly the most equitable and fairest resolution for both teams. That is exactly why an official like John Higgins has the schedule that he did this season - judgement.