The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone have any of their other publications?

Which ones do you have and are they any good?
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 03:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Could you be a little more specific?

Are you talking about books, magazine or pamphlets?

Peace
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Could you be a little more specific?

Are you talking about books, magazine or pamphlets?

Peace
The books and the pamphlets. Things listed here: http://www.referee.com/books/catalog.htm
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 04:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

I guess it depends on what you are looking for and what your level of experience is. Many of the books (which are not different from anything instructional) are very basic. I have in the past bought the Basketball Guidebook. This book has very good detail of signal mechanics and goes into detail about 2 Person mechanics. It is usually better for officials just starting out or for officials that do not have time to attend many camps. Unfortunately it does not deal enough with 3 Person and coverage areas and situations. You can buy the Center Official book that deals with more 3 Person mechanics and coverage areas. I just feel the book is not something an experienced official has not already heard before. But it is still a good reference tool so you can refer back to as a refresher. Everything I have perchance from NASO has value and helps me when I teach things to younger officials. I have been acted in some leadership roles and that is helpful to use in association meetings or hand out the information.

I would say buy something first. If you find value in the information, buy more stuff.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

I have bought all three of the "Working" books for basketball (Working the Lead, Working the Trail, Working the Center). I got the lead & trail books a couple of years ago (soon after they came out, I believe?) and they were very helpful to me. I was new and the info helped me improve in both areas. I bought the center book about a month ago because I was picked up by the three-whistle league. Even though I've been to three-whistle camps, I still learned some new things from the book. I have loaned them to a couple of newer officials and they seem to have been helped by them too. So I would definitely recommend these titles to newer officials.

Just a note, the lead and trail books do not cover three-whistle. Obviously the center book does. I got a spam from Referee/NASO last week offering the lead and trail books on closeout. I hope that means they're putting out a second edition that will also include three-whistle information. If so, I'll probably pick up the newer ones too. If I can pick up a couple of solid tips for less the the cost of a game fee, that's pretty good value for the money, I think.