The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 09:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

Did anyone here the Packer and Nance exchange after the Duke basket was not counted?

Packer could not make up his mind what it was. He was adamant that the basket should not count, then turned around and said the basket should count. Instead of just saying he was not sure he was convinced both ways he was right. Then he accused the officials of a "make up call" on the next time up the court.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 09:49pm
M.A.S.H.

JRut,

Yes I think it went something like this:

Packer: That should count
Nance: And why is that?
Packer: Because the ball passed through the rim
Nance: Just for those at home who don't know

Nance: Now the officials are getting together.... no basket
Packer: That's a great basket interference call, he was still hanging on the rim.

WOW...
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 09:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

LOL!!!!

Exactly!!!

Thumbs Down

Peace
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
If we're going to constantly hammer Packer for his constant mistakes, we should take one moment to praise him for the one time he was correct. In this same game, Packer praised the officials for NOT calling GT/BI when the ball was blocked after it hit the backboard, b/c it was still on the way up.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 10:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
If we're going to constantly hammer Packer for his constant mistakes, we should take one moment to praise him for the one time he was correct. In this same game, Packer praised the officials for NOT calling GT/BI when the ball was blocked after it hit the backboard, b/c it was still on the way up.
Yeah, one out of a billion ain't bad.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,

I'll take a look at that play tomorrow on TiVo, but I definitely thought that play was missed. That was a runner by Ewing, not a lay-up. For a ball to hit the glass (which it did, contrary to what Packer said) and not be on the way down would be impossible unless the ball was hurled quite forcefully at the basket.

Ewing made both free throws. Max loss of one point to Duke. The boys should have taken care of the basketball.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 04:36am
Official Forum Member

heh

and commend the great defense of the Spartans for making the boys not take care of the bball . I saw the replays on this as well. I actually think the ball WAS starting to come back down. If you look it had hit the glass (as on a bank shot) and the upper momentum had stopped, then the ball slightly began coming back down before it was touched. I am a Spartan Alumni...but I do think it was on the way down. It's a moot concept anyway in that particular instance.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 08:04am
In Memoriam

Cool Don't think so, Chuck.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Personally, I do not expect an "attaboy" for doing what I am s'posed to do. Do you? Don't think so, Chuck.
mick
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Then he accused the officials of a "make up call" on the next time up the court.

Peace
As I watched the game I said to myself, "Watch for a ticky-tack call on the other end". Maybe it wasn't a make-up call, but it was fully anticipated by everyone except probably the player that committed the foul.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Then he accused the officials of a "make up call" on the next time up the court.

Peace
As I watched the game I said to myself, "Watch for a ticky-tack call on the other end". Maybe it wasn't a make-up call, but it was fully anticipated by everyone except probably the player that committed the foul.
So you thought it was ticky-tack? Sheez, the guy was knocked off his pins and although he didn't fall, he didn't get to the pass he was supposed to be receiving. I thought it was a great call.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

'Take that, #@*!'? Packer heard no evil

Article in the Chicago Tribune today!

/sports/columnists/cs-050328greenstein,0,4477502.column?coll=cs-home-utility

'Take that, #@*!'? Packer heard no evil
Teddy Greenstein
ON SPORTS MEDIA AND COLLEGES

March 28, 2005

Kentucky basketball fans will forever associate Patrick Sparks with the three-pointer he hit to send Sunday's Elite Eight game against Michigan State into overtime.

But that's not all.

They'll also recall Sparks' reaction to the shot. The junior guard's momentum carried him to the center of press row, where he came upon the CBS Sports team of Jim Nantz and Billy Packer.

Sparks appeared to yell something in Packer's direction, and the veteran analyst responded by slapping hands with him to celebrate.

"There was all this emotion and he came flying toward us," Packer said Monday. "Jim and I were on our feet. It was a strange thing."

Not as strange as what at least one witness said came out of Sparks' mouth. One of the writers close to the scene said he heard Sparks scream: "Take that!" before adding a crass four-syllable epithet.

Packer had his headset on and couldn't hear what Sparks said. But he finds it hard to believe that Sparks, seconds after his career highlight, would fire on him.

"He might have said: 'I hit the shot for you," Packer said. "I did not hear anything like that, but if people said they heard it, I guess you have to ask the kid."

After Sunday's game, Sparks wouldn't say exactly what he yelled.

"I was just caught up in the moment," he said.

Adding to the intrigue—the part that connects the dots for some Kentucky fans—is that Packer caused a mini-stir in December when he said that Sparks got away with a traveling violation before he was fouled and hit the winning free throws in a game at Louisville.

Packer didn't call the Louisville game but made the comment during a broadcast later that day.

"I said to Verne [Lundquist]: 'It was a great shot, and you can't take anything away from the kid, but he traveled before he got the shot off.' I actually spoke about it for less than 12 seconds, but it became an issue in Kentucky.

"I talked to [Kentucky coach] Tubby [Smith] about it. We laughed about it. I said: '[Sparks] did a jig before he took the shot.' It was a non-issue except with the paranoid Kentucky people—as if I'm against Kentucky. The guy walked. I say what I see, not try to make people happy in the state of Kentucky."

Packer was an all-ACC guard for Wake Forest in the early '60s, and some Kentucky fans still perceive him as favoring schools near his home in Charlotte. Packer, who will call his 24th consecutive Final Four this weekend for CBS, says that's ridiculous.

"I have great respect for both Tubby and [Michigan State coach] Tom [Izzo]," he said. "Do you think I could broadcast a game and be rooting for one of them to lose? How can people be this paranoid?"
Copyright © 2005, The Chicago Tribune

Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Packer makes me WANT to go to therapy.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the problem with the "make up call" theory. They got the call correct. Maybe wrong rationale if I understand what Kitts said later, but right result.

Let's take the "make up call" theory seriously for a moment. Here's what you're asking people to believe -- that they conferred, got the call right, and then decided, let's give the next one to MSU.

I mean, who really believes this crap? Just because Billy "he got by with a push off" Packer thinks so?
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

"Packer, who will call his 24th consecutive Final Four this weekend for CBS..."

The only positive is that maybe, just maybe, CBS will think that 25 straight is a nice number for him to end on. We can only hope.