The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Had this happen last season. A lame scenario, but this board is S-L-O-W.

Team A scores. Team B is granted a T.O. Team B will be able to run the baseline on the throw-in. Coach of B asks me where the throw-in will be. I had never given much thought of it (the beginning location of an endline throw-in) so I said, "you can take it on either side of the hoop and then your player can run the baseline. Where would you like it?" He chose a specific side because he wanted to run a certain play and needed to know the exact spot.

As officials, do we need to pick the "starting spot" for the endline throw-in? What if we decide to take it on the left side of the lane line and the throwing team returns from the T.O. and wants to take it on the other side? Hypothetically, what if they want the baseline throw-in to start 2-feet from the sideline?

Z
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

My thinking is the starting spot for the throw-in should be closest to where the ball was at the time of the reguest. If the ball is in the middle of the lane, then they can choose a side.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 07:46pm
Administrator

If the T is opposite the Table when the timeout request was granted, the ensuing throw-in will be start at the free throw lane extended opposite the Table.

If the T is Table-side when the timeout request was granted, the ensuing throw-in will be start at the free throw lane extended Table-side.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
If the T is opposite the Table when the timeout request was granted, the ensuing throw-in will be start at the free throw lane extended opposite the Table.

If the T is Table-side when the timeout request was granted, the ensuing throw-in will be start at the free throw lane extended Table-side.

MTD, Sr.
Is this based on anything in a rule book or a mechanics book or is this just how it is done in your area?

Z
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:

MTD, Sr.
Is this based on anything in a rule book or a mechanics book or is this just how it is done in your area?

Z
No, there is nothing to support MTD's claim.

7-5-7 says ANYWHERE along the endline. If the throwing team requests a side, there is no rule support to deny that request.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bballrob
Quote:
Quote:

MTD, Sr.

Z
Logic would dictate that on a TO, there is no requirement for the officials so switch, so after the TO, they should stay in their same positions, therefore, I think that Mr. Denucci is saying that you administer the throw-in from whereever allows the Trail official to stay in the same position after the TO.
What difference does it make? We'd be moving from the top of the arch or the block opposite to go to the huddle at the first horn anyway, so at least one official is moving back across the court.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 10:09pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Quote:

MTD, Sr.

Z

7-5-7 says ANYWHERE along the endline. If the throwing team requests a side, there is no rule support to deny that request.

The fact that a timeout has been granted does not mean that a switch or in the case of this play a rotation should occur.

The procedure that I described in my initial post still allows the team making the throw-in to make its throw-in from anywhere along the baseline. This procedure is applicable whether the officiating crew is a two-person or three-person crew.

Watch the NCAA Tournament games this weekend and you will see that the procedure I described will be the one will be used.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MTD, Sr.

Z

The fact that a timeout has been granted does not mean that a switch or in the case of this play a rotation should occur.

The procedure that I described in my initial post still allows the team making the throw-in to make its throw-in from anywhere along the baseline. This procedure is applicable whether the officiating crew is a two-person or three-person crew.

Watch the NCAA Tournament games this weekend and you will see that the procedure I described will be the one will be used.

MTD, Sr.
If they have a play set up tableside and T was opposite the table you are forcing an OOB pass to use their play.

You still have not given a rule or manual citation to say the officials dictate the starting spot.

Once again there is no rule support to deny a request for a starting spot by the throwing team.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 10:29pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MTD, Sr.

Z

MTD, Sr.
If they have a play set up tableside and T was opposite the table you are forcing an OOB pass to use their play.

You still have not given a rule or manual citation to say the officials dictate the starting spot.

Once again there is no rule support to deny a request for a starting spot by the throwing team.

BZ:

No matter whether the game is being played under NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's, of FIBA, there are no circumstances where the team dictates where it wants the ball to be inbounded.

Like I said watch the games this weekend.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 10:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

There is nothing in the rules that says you have to do things one way or another as it relates to where you give the ball to a player. I guess if it really matters to you, then do what the coach requests. There is just no justification for it either way.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
There is nothing in the rules that says you have to do things one way or another as it relates to where you give the ball to a player. I guess if it really matters to you, then do what the coach requests. There is just no justification for it either way.

Peace
Agree.

If the coach asks tell him his guy can run the line. If he asks what side he's gonna start from you might as well point to the side you were just at. If he objects change your mind.

No big deal.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MTD, Sr.

Z

MTD, Sr.

BZ:

No matter whether the game is being played under NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's, of FIBA, there are no circumstances where the team dictates where it wants the ball to be inbounded.

Like I said watch the games this weekend.

MTD, Sr.
The original post speaks of a TO request before the ball is at the disposal, this is not like team A has the ball and a 5 second count has begun. Under those conditions A1 can grab the ball and take it to either side to begin the throw-in.

My feeling is the starting spot should be closest to where the ball was at the time of the request and if it is directly below the basket I'd give team A the option if asked, "Where is the throw-in spot?"

Let's test your mechanic. Team A takes the ball OOB after the made basket and begins the throw-in opposite the new T, then a TO is requested. Your mechanic now changes the starting spot from the location of the ball when the TO was granted to the opposite side of the lane.

I seriously doubt I see that done this weekend.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

While I agree with MTD that the officials should be in the same positions when resuming play after the timeout but it is not etched in stone that the officials MUST stay.

Remember, the mechanics manual allows us to make adjustments.

I would grant the coach's wish and give the ball to his team on whichever side he wants. I do so as a courtesy, because it is not prohibited by rule, and is just good game management.

No reason to alienate a coach on such a trivial matter. Would I ruin a great game because I am too RIGID in my mechanics, or by flaunting my rules knowledge, just so I don't have to walk an extra 15 feet to resume play? Not in a million years.

Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 03:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long

I would grant the coach's wish and give the ball to his team on whichever side he wants. I do so as a courtesy, because it is not prohibited by rule, and is just good game management.

Gotta agree with that too.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
[No matter whether the game is being played under NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's, of FIBA, there are no circumstances where the team dictates where it wants the ball to be inbounded.
Hmmmmm. . . .

NCAA 7-5-10 (Men): After an intentional technical foul or a flagrant technical foul, any team member of the offended team may attempt the free throws and the ball shall be put back in play by any player of that team from a designated spot at the division line at either side of the playing court.