The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 09, 2001, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

I was watching an A-10 Tournament game last night (GW & XU) and noticed the crew working hard to get good position.

The C would work up to 4 or 5 steps on the court and from the blocks to 6 feet above the top of the key. When there was a competitive match-up in C's area (even in the low post), he headed for the typical T position, whether L had rotated or not. The T would nearly be standing on the three-point arc at times. They were moving like wrestling officials, always maneuvering for a good look (nothing wrong with that!). It appeared they would strive to get about 6 feet away from a competitive match-up anywhere in their primary, thus the additional movement.

These moves were routine and not the exception. Is anyone familiar enough with A-10 mechanics to know if this is how they work all their games? Was it just this crew? Is the expanded range of movement an indication of things to come or things past?
Old Fri Mar 09, 2001, 09:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Question It might have been the officials themselves.

I was watching the Big 10 Tournament at the United Center yesterday myself and I noticed each crew an individual did things different. It just depended on who was on the floor. So just like HS or any other level, guys do what they feel confrontable with. Now, maybe the Atlantic 10 assignors want them to do that, but just from what I have seen, it might just be who is working that is the explaination.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2001, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like good work by the crew. I wish that was the norm, rather than the exception. I rather prefer to work my self into better postion, but then get cracked back on not "being where I am supposed to" and keeping within imaginary lines when I am the C. If the assignor in the A10 advocates that, cheers to him.

I am also guessing it is work like that is the reason these guys are working the tourney.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2001, 11:00am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Who were the officials?

I noticed that Phil Bova moves quite a bit.

..Mike
Old Fri Mar 09, 2001, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

The officials were ...

... Joe Demayo, Mark Distaola, and Glenn Mayborg.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2001, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I think it's been a focus point in both Men's and Women's mechanics to "move more" -- get out on the court as C when the ball's way on the opposite side, etc.

The specific definition of "move more" varies by conference supervisor.