The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The Coolest Visible Count (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/19329-coolest-visible-count.html)

Snake~eyes Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
I'm watching the WVU v. T Tech game, and I just saw the official do the coolest count. It was vertical as opposed to horizontal. It looked awesome.

Good stuff

IMHO, it looks terrible.

Mine too..

WyMike Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally posted by RookieDude
Dick Cartmell, D-1 official, told a buddy of mine that he doesn't like the high counts.
Some say it looks like a "Hitler" salute...just make your count look natural and comfortable...IMO.

I hate the Hitler Salute mechanic and there are a few old timers working the courts whom have this technique down.

For me, a simple lateral arm movement on the bench side is more than adequate.

ChrisSportsFan Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by WyMike
Quote:

Dick Cartmell, D-1 official, told a buddy of mine that he doesn't like the high counts.
Some say it looks like a "Hitler" salute...just make your count look natural and comfortable...IMO.

I hate the Hitler Salute mechanic and there are a few old timers working the courts whom have this technique down.

Let's make this really interesting; 2 finger count or do you use the entire flat hand style.

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:26pm

I use a count for all situations where I extend my right arm straight out from my body, then bend it at the elbow to bring my hand up to smack the side of my head.

I've done it this way for a lot of years and it seems to work fine fine fine fine fine

jbduke Fri Mar 25, 2005 01:58pm

Wow. Interesting to read that so many people liked it. I thought it looked really awkward. I like flair when it looks natural, but his motion was so forceful, not at all fluid.

ref18 Fri Mar 25, 2005 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:

Quote:

Let's make this really interesting; 2 finger count or do you use the entire flat hand style.

It all depends, usually I use 2 fingers, but sometimes I get the whole hand in there.

Snake~eyes Fri Mar 25, 2005 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:

Quote:

I'm a two finger guy myself, what about you?

tjones1 Fri Mar 25, 2005 02:57pm

I use the whole flat hand.

Back In The Saddle Fri Mar 25, 2005 04:45pm

I didn't see the count in question, but as far as bringing attention to yourself with a counting mechanic, nothing beats the Hitler salute. When you've got a routine play with somebody bringing the ball up the floor uncontested and you've got the full arm swing going, that's hardly subtle.

I keep trying to break the two-finger habit, but it just feels better to do it that way.