Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowStripes
Haven't seen this posted on the board yet, but check out this link with video:

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S7134.html?cat=1

One word - Wow!
Great! Thanks for the link -- someone posted about it last week, but of course we couldn't see it for ourselves.

I'd just like to note that the announcers made several comments that were "Packer-ish". When the kid is on his butt: "Is he travelling? He's still sliding back even after he gets the ball, shouldn't that be travelling?" With the clock clearly posted in the corner of the screen: "Did he get it off on time? I'm not sure..." "Will they call it a three when he's sitting on the line?"
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Never never never never never give up! Great shot. Thanks for posting the link.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowStripes
Haven't seen this posted on the board yet, but check out this link with video:

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S7134.html?cat=1

One word - Wow!
Great! Thanks for the link -- someone posted about it last week, but of course we couldn't see it for ourselves.

I'd just like to note that the announcers made several comments that were "Packer-ish". When the kid is on his butt: "Is he travelling? He's still sliding back even after he gets the ball, shouldn't that be travelling?" With the clock clearly posted in the corner of the screen: "Did he get it off on time? I'm not sure..." "Will they call it a three when he's sitting on the line?"
lol I noticed the same thing. Of course you can't slide otherwise its a travel
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

If a there's a game with referees, and the game is televised with announcers, there will always be some idiot with no clue telling us how bad the officials are. It's right up there with death and taxes as the constants in our lives.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

You guys are WAY too hard on non-officials sometimes. I didn't hear anything Packer-esque about the announcers in this clip. They asked a couple of valid questions - the same thoughts that had to be running through the game officials minds as related to travelling or ball location on the shot. They did not make any off the cuff rules declarations like Packer is famous for. Sounded like 2 amazed fans trying to make sense of a prety amazing shot to me.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wearin' Stripes
You guys are WAY too hard on non-officials sometimes. I didn't hear anything Packer-esque about the announcers in this clip. They asked a couple of valid questions - the same thoughts that had to be running through the game officials minds as related to travelling or ball location on the shot. They did not make any off the cuff rules declarations like Packer is famous for. Sounded like 2 amazed fans trying to make sense of a prety amazing shot to me.
Well then, why would they not start explaining the rules of traveling so people can make their own mind up. How about rather than saying that since he was sitting on the line, it must be a 2. How about, from the looks of it on my monitor, he got the shot off in time. Those are examples of anti-Packer-isms he could have said. I showed that to my 12 year old and even he commented on the crap spewing from the announcers mouth.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for reinforcing my point
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Red face

Quote:

[Edited by ChrisSportsFan on Mar 22nd, 2005 at 11:16 AM]
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not sure how he was reinforcing your point? The announcer could have stated things much more accurately vs. propogating the myth that sliding (due to momentum) is travelling. They were watching the replay, the same as you and I and the clock is clearly in vision... therefore, why the comment did he get it off in time? Of course he did, it was right there for us to see. The comments about it being a two or a three or inane as well. Most people know that you can't be in front of or touching the arc to score a 3 pt. goal. Why not state emphatically that it is absolutely a two pointer since he was sitting on the line and the game is not over, instead we have overtime. I agree with the other posters, this was very Packer-like announcing... on a much smaller scale.

Granted they were excited and amazed and their enthusiasm was evident which is great and good for the game, but I still believe (obviously CBS does not agree due to their continued employment of B. Packer) they have an obligation for "responsible reporting" which includes dissiminating (sp?) accurate information.

Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 09:56am
M.A.S.H.

Thumbs up

I'll just echo... what a shot!!!
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Another Shot

Saturday I witnessed another incredible shot from a freshman to WIN the Michigan Class D state title. Wish I could post a link to a video.

Detroit Rogers tied the score against Bellaire in regulation when their player was fouled on a three point attempt with 1.4 seconds left. He had to make all three and did (the first one was rolling out off the front but took a devine turn and fell in). Then, with Bellaire ahead by one with 3.5 seconds in overtime, Bellaire took the ball out in the corner behind Rogers' basket. The Rogers' freshman stole a short bounce pass in the same corner and in one motion almost from his hip threw the ball up while falling out of bounds AND being fouled. It swished, he made the free throw and Bellaire failed to get another shot...unbelievable!!!
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I watched the video and I'm not sure what the big deal is. I'm sure the play went just as the coach designed it on the old clipboard. "Go slide on your butt, get the ball, no one will guard you! Your shot will be wide open."
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by buckrog64
I watched the video and I'm not sure what the big deal is. I'm sure the play went just as the coach designed it on the old clipboard. "Go slide on your butt, get the ball, no one will guard you! Your shot will be wide open."
True-dat, because we all know coaches are smart that way. His only fear was a ref screwing him on a traveling call. It was either this or somebody slash to the bucket for a layup.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

4 thoughts

I think four things (in no particular order EXCEPT that the first and last things I think are definitely the dominant thoughts!):

(1) Wow!

(2) The point that Wearin' Stripes thought was reinforced was that "[y]ou guys are WAY too hard on non-officials sometimes." I'm not sure that I agree with Wearin' Stripes in this particular case -- I do think television announcers should be at least moderately familiar with the rules and some of the comments were pretty silly (esp. asking if it might be a three) -- but I think that was his point (and it is a fair point, even if I disagree).

(3) The coach appears to have missed his player's heroics because of his fury with the center official. I watched the clip several times and it appears that the coach is so busy pointing out his #12 on the floor and then berating the official for choking on his whistle (coach's perspective, not mine) that he never sees the play. It's hard to tell which way the coach is looking, but it appears to me that he may be looking at the official still while the ball is going in and that his arm gesture is in anger at the official for blowing a call (is he even stepping out at the official?) when he gets swallowed up by his players and bench who are celebrating.

(4) Wow!