The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

Lost in the sea of idiocy brought on by his partner Billy Packer, Jim Nance seems to have gotten away with a bit of it himself. Granted, he has to listen to Packer more often than anyone, but he has gotten pretty bad too. Constantly saying stuff like, "Player X commits the reach-in foul," and "he got called for being over the back," not to mention, "there's another reach" or "a lot of contact there, but no call." This guy makes me long for the days of Greg Gumbel doing play by play, and that says a lot. Nance is boring and ignorant and Packer is a buffoon, CBS has plenty of other, better talent, put them on the big games.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

As much as I hate to give an an anouncer credit. there is one guy who in one particular situation this weekend actually got one right.
In the UK vs UC game on Saturday night Jay Bilas got one right there was a palming call made in the front court with the UK player moving North to South and he hitched the ball up and took off tothe basket the official made the call.
Bilas actually said (when reviewing the play) "lets see if he gained an advantage".
clearly the advantage was gained and Bilas said so.
Miricales do happen.

Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 08:54am
PAOfficial

Bilas is an ex-player not far removed from his playing days. Its nice when one doesn't lose perspective!
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Jim Nantz should stick with the Masters Golf Tournament. Basketball is not for him
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 11:28am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by brianp134
Jim Nantz should stick with the Masters Golf Tournament. Basketball is not for him
Same goes for Packer.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know who it was, but I heard someoen saying that a defender can move in a block/charge siatuation and he even talked about the guy having a legal positioN!
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Not possible;

Give the man a cuppie doll!!!

Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
I don't know who it was, but I heard someoen saying that a defender can move in a block/charge siatuation and he even talked about the guy having a legal positioN!
This was stated on the second PC against Wake, the one committed by Taron Downey, in the 2OT of the game with WV.
Ian Eagle and Jim Spanarkel were the commentators. I think these two guys do a good job.

Spanarkel's exact words were:
"That's a good no-call down at the other end of the floor and the right call down here with Downey. Even though the defender is moving a touch, does Downey cross into him? Yep, I think so."

He gets a big thumbs up for saying that.

Of course, Spanarkel was the one who misdescribed the travel against Wake at the start of the first OT by saying that he picked up his pivot foot.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Mar 22nd, 2005 at 03:03 AM]
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick82358
As much as I hate to give an an anouncer credit. there is one guy who in one particular situation this weekend actually got one right.
In the UK vs UC game on Saturday night Jay Bilas got one right there was a palming call made in the front court with the UK player moving North to South and he hitched the ball up and took off tothe basket the official made the call.
Bilas actually said (when reviewing the play) "lets see if he gained an advantage".
clearly the advantage was gained and Bilas said so.
Miricales do happen.
Spanarkel said something very similar when Downey was called for that carry at 1:06 remaining in the 2nd OT of the Wake/WV game.

He and Ian Eagle should be the lead team in my opinion. Although, I do think that Bilas does a nice job. Did you catch the clip on PTI in which he picked against Duke coming out of the Regional? He said that Mich St. and Kentucky are big, physical teams and that would probably be too much for Duke in those two games. Nice to see someone be analytical and fairly objective about their school.