The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 19, 2005, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I just noticed on the replay of the end of that game that there were two lead officials for a short time. Right when Bucknell comes up with a loose ball with a few seconds left under KU's basket and KU is called for a foul, ends up being 2.4 on the clock. At the beginning of that replay you see at the top of the screen Lead #2 realize that he's supposed to be C and casually move back onto the court.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2005, 11:11am
Esteemed Participant

I saw that...it was also the same official who was supposed to be C a few minutes earlier when Bucknell ad the ball oob on their own baseline. They threw it in up high on T's side, kid launches a long three pointer (he's five feet behind the line and way to T's side of court) and the supposed to be C has backed way out to a second T position and signals the three-point attempt also! Caught my attention both times...
Old Sat Mar 19, 2005, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the two leads, didn't see the play DJ refers to.

A gutsy call on the intentional foul. I thought he could have been a no call, as the dribbler had pretty well pulled away. But if you whistle, it has to be intentional. He was definitely trying to foul him.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2005, 05:24pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

A gutsy call on the intentional foul. I thought he could have been a no call, as the dribbler had pretty well pulled away. But if you whistle, it has to be intentional. He was definitely trying to foul him.
I was wondering if anyone was going to comment on the intentional. I completely agree with you BktBallRef, very easily could have no called it, but if you hit it, gotta be intentional.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2005, 09:54pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

I am going to preface my remarks that my mother is a Kansas native and is a graduate of KU, and I was born in Lawrence, KS, and therefore that when it comes to college basketball I am a die hard KU fan. Having said that I will now procede.

Daryl and I officiated in the Final Four of the Ohio Special Olympics State Championship this weekend in New Philadelphia, and on Friday night we had settled into our room for the evening after dinner after officiating two semi-final games.

We saw the play live. The contact was not a no call situation. Daryl could have cared less and the first words out of his mouth was that it was an intentional foul. It was not a gutsy call, it was the correct call, any other than an intentional foul would have been incorrect. And if the shoe and been on the other foot I would have expected the same foul to be called against KU.

What really lost the game for KU was 1 for 11 shooting from behind that arc and when the got the ball back with 10.5 sec and were down by only one point, Bob Self did not request his final timeout to set up a scoring play then until waiting until 2.4 sec to request.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Mar 19, 2005, 09:57pm
Administrator

Daryl also noticed the two leads right away. I did not pick up on it right away because I was focused on the table side Lead, because it looked like he was trying to run off the court as soon as the game was over.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

The intentional was great. It is about time that this call starts being made. We need to penalize this harshly and get the players to knock it off. It is bad for the game. I am thrilled that this is being called quite frequently in this year's NCAA tournament. I really hope that the NFHS picks up from here and makes it a POE for next season. Kudos to the NCAA officials and Nichols for stepping up on this.

I agree that it was a no-question-about-it call.