The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

I saw this in a game on tv (a week ago?) and it got me thinking. When the players were lining up for the free throw, the bottom players (defense) switched so they could be next to the rebounder that they wanted. Then the offensive team players switched, which then caused the defensive players to switch. This went on 3 or 4 times until the official stepped in and put a stop to it.

My question: Logically I would think that the offensive players would be given first choice and then the defensive players the last choice. I don't have my book so I was hoping someone would know.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Nope, let the Keystone Cops have their time on the court. Only the first two lane spot must be occupied by a team B (assuming team A is shooting). Who occupies them and how the offfense fills the spots next to it are arbitrary. Until the official is ready to administer the FT, they can and are entitled to move. At some point, as you indicate, the official has to step in and continue the game.

If both teams continue this action, one solution would be (after a warning?), call a "T" on both teams for a delay of game, clear the lanes, shoot the free throw (since the "T" would not eliminate the FT's) and award the arrow possesion.