The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

8th grade tourney this weekend. Didn't work it as my school was host and I'm the Board President.

Was verbally ripped by a parent after the game for a player who was on the floor injured. He was away from the traffic and not in danger. Crew let the other team continue towards their basket. They took and missed several shots getting the rebound each time. Finally scoring on the fourth shot.

Opposing coach came out on the floor screaming about the injured player while play was ongoing.

Now IMHO it's a judgement call as to whether to stop play for injury if they are not in danger. In younger kids games I lean on the side of stopping the play just to get the kid off the floor.

Officials in this instance did the right thing as they let play continue as injured player was so far off the play. Big court, former high school.

They did however "T" the coach. Fans thought it was because he left the bench w/o being called. Turns out Coach had a few choice words which lead to the "T".

What's your opinion, Stop play or continue?
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Should have stopped play when ball was rebounded after first missed shot. I give the team one chance to score. Additionally, I only hold the whistle as long as the team takes the ball to the basket. If they set up an offense then blow whistle and stop play. Then resume play at point of interruption...NO AP.

Officials were wrong and I hope they will learn from this experience
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Officials were correct

In my opinion, they did the right thing. If the player is that far away, and there is no danger, then a rebound and shoot is the same as moving toward the basket for me. As long as they are shooting, I am going to let them keep at it.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Daryl, they get one drive to the basket, after that drive, successful or not, I'm blowing the whistle. Also if they decide not to drive in, and set up an offence I'm blowing it dead.

Remember, we don't know how badly this player is injured, so for his safety, we should get him help as soon as the game permits.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

So you determine "danger" by the proximity of the injured player to others.

I determine danger as the possible effects or results of the injury to the injured players health. Most of us are not doctors and cannot make that determination based on a quick visual.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I agree with Daryl, they get one drive to the basket, after that drive, successful or not, I'm blowing the whistle. Also if they decide not to drive in, and set up an offence I'm blowing it dead.

Remember, we don't know how badly this player is injured, so for his safety, we should get him help as soon as the game permits.
If they set up or pull it out to set up - I'm totally with you.

In this case, it was a drive with several shots in the paint immediately after rebounds.

Also, this game was very physical with lots of contact both ways. Yes, I know contact is not a foul but it was getting both teams and their fans worked up.
It was just the nature of play. Sometimes this happens at lower levels.
The officials are both excellent and well respected
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long

I determine danger as the possible effects or results of the injury to the injured players health. Most of us are not doctors and cannot make that determination based on a quick visual.
Then why give the offense 1 chance to score?
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stmaryrams
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18

In this case, it was a drive with several shots in the paint immediately after rebounds.
They get one shot, after the shot leaves the shooter's hands I'm blowing the whistle. If he makes it team B gets the ball on the endline and the can run the endline, if he misses I'm going AP.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 01:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Because the rules tell you to?

R5-8-2NOTE- This says that the officials can suspend play after the ball is dead, is in control of the injured player's team or "when the opponents complete a play". It goes on to say that a play is completed when a team loses control, including throwing for goal, or stops trying to score.

Iow, if you think that the player isn't seriously hurt, go by the procedure in the Preacher's first post above.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Because the rules tell you to?

R5-8-2NOTE- This says that the officials can suspend play after the ball is dead, is in control of the injured player's team or "when the opponents complete a play". It goes on to say that a play is completed when a team loses control, including throwing for goal, or stops trying to score.

Iow, if you think that the player isn't seriously hurt, go by the procedure in the Preacher's first post above.
That's nice, but Daryl told us he will "...determine danger as the possible effects or results of the injury to the injured players health. Most of us are not doctors and cannot make that determination based on a quick visual."

If he believes we can't make a determination from a quick visual why wait at all is my question.

iow why go to the procedure?
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Dan,

Your question is logical. It was very astute of you to pick up on a noticable contradiction in my answers. I have been trying to keep my answers down to a few lines instead of writing a book and in doing so I wrote an erroneous sentence.

After posting I went back to edit my response but the edited version did not post because I did not notice I had inadvertantly gone off-line. I timed out looking for the rule citation Jurassic quoted.

The sentence should properly read as follows.

I determine danger as the possible effect or results of the injury to the injured players health. Most of us are not doctors and cannot make that determination BEYOND a quick visual.

A quick visual is all I can do. If I believe injury is serious enough to require immediate attention then I halt play immediately. Otherwise, I apply Rule 5-8-2 Note that Jurassic brought to our attention.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Not to muddy the waters, but the NCAA interpretation of "completing the play" is different. In NCAA, you stop play when the team ceases "to attempt to score", so you allow the rebounding action to continue until they score or they kick it out (NCAA 5-9-8a).
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Not to muddy the waters, but the NCAA interpretation of "completing the play" is different. In NCAA, you stop play when the team ceases "to attempt to score", so you allow the rebounding action to continue until they score or they kick it out (NCAA 5-9-8a).
Assuming that the player doesn't appear to be seriously injured, I like this interp the best, and it is how I judge when to blow the whistle...I can assure you I won't blow it mid shot and go AP, if we do that and go AP I am afraid people will go APE LOL
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Assuming that the player doesn't appear to be seriously injured, I like this interp the best, and it is how I judge when to blow the whistle...I can assure you I won't blow it mid shot and go AP, if we do that and go AP I am afraid people will go APE LOL
Why, you're doing exactly what the book says to do. If a coach complains you can say, coach by rule this is what we're supposed to do. Everyone should be happy.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Just put me in the wait till they are no longer attempting to score camp.