The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

I was a spectator at my daughter's championship game in a competitive league for 13 -14 y/o . They have played for about 2 months and had come down to this game to decide the champion. The opposing coach is barking at the ref's from the tipoff and never stopped. Finally in the 3rd quarter one of the officials says " coach I've had enough" and gives him a T. ( I couldn't hear what was said ) . Late in the 4th quarter I hear the same official say " Coach , that's enough" and he puts up the stop sign and tells him if he gets another T he will have to leave. The coach say" You have got to be an idiot not to call that foul ". Then says to the official " You are a stupid idiot ". The official T's him up and tells the coach he has to leave the building. The coach then says " what are you going to do if I don't ". Unfortunately , game management was in the other gym so it took some time for them to get there. Finally the other official talks to the coach and gets him out of there . My question is: Could have the official called the game due to a forfeit b/c of the coach not leaving or what are the other options . I have not had to deal with this yet and was wondering what the proper procedure was. BTY we ended up winning the game by 14 points.

Thanks
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Quote:
Originally posted by RefTip
I was a spectator at my daughter's championship game in a competitive league for 13 -14 y/o . They have played for about 2 months and had come down to this game to decide the champion. The opposing coach is barking at the ref's from the tipoff and never stopped. Finally in the 3rd quarter one of the officials says " coach I've had enough" and gives him a T. ( I couldn't hear what was said ) . Late in the 4th quarter I hear the same official say " Coach , that's enough" and he puts up the stop sign and tells him if he gets another T he will have to leave. The coach say" You have got to be an idiot not to call that foul ". Then says to the official " You are a stupid idiot ". The official T's him up and tells the coach he has to leave the building. The coach then says " what are you going to do if I don't ". Unfortunately , game management was in the other gym so it took some time for them to get there. Finally the other official talks to the coach and gets him out of there . My question is: Could have the official called the game due to a forfeit b/c of the coach not leaving or what are the other options . I have not had to deal with this yet and was wondering what the proper procedure was. BTY we ended up winning the game by 14 points.

Thanks
Put (I belive it is 5) minutes on the clock, and if he is still not out of there TWEET game is over and his team lost. However, if there is an asst coach or a parent in this matter for this type of league who can come coach they usually do it like that instead of this itiot causing the kids the game.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 12:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Put (I belive it is 5) minutes on the clock, and if he is still not out of there TWEET game is over and his team lost. However, if there is an asst coach or a parent in this matter for this type of league who can come coach they usually do it like that instead of this itiot causing the kids the game.
I would not put any time on the clock. That in my opinion is a very bad idea, because you are going to have to put up with him for that time. I would rather call a T or two before if the coach wants to leave. Some might say you are hurting the kids, but the coach is the representative of his team. It is their job to know when to cut their loses and move on. But I would not put a time on when the coach had to leave. They have to leave now, not 5 minutes from now. If they do not leave, game over. They are making the game a travesty.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

My first reaction is to put 5 minutes up on the cloc, but then someone on the forum said only 1 minute.

I haven't ejected anyone who's refused to leave since then so I haven't tried it out yet, but the one minute countdown should get them moving.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

5 minutes? You're going to let him stand around and eat your a$$ for 5 minutes?

I don't think so. We give him one minute. THat's plenty of time. Then, it's over.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
First of all, you hate to see this type of junk; especially in a 13-14 game. I think that if I am the one that calls the second T and he refuses to leave, then I would have one of my partners simply inform him that if he doesn't agree to leave, we will be forced to call the game a forfeit. Hopefully, this works. If you can't get game management there quickly enough and he is continuing to be obnoxious, then I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. You can't let him make a travesty of the game. Of couse, I would feel a great deal of sympathy for his players. You just hate to see stuff like that.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 05:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
5 minutes? You're going to let him stand around and eat your a$$ for 5 minutes?

I don't think so. We give him one minute. THat's plenty of time. Then, it's over.
Exactly. You tell the timer to put one minute up. Call your partner(s) over to stand next to you as witnesses. Fold your arms and do not say one more word to the coach, no matter what he says or does. If he's still there when the clock hits 0:00, you're outa there. Make a quick note on the back of the official score sheet as to what happened, including time remaining in the game. If the coach does leave, you still write a report on the back of the game sheet. After the game, do another report for whoever in your Association/area takes care of these problems.

As I said, never debate the clown after you toss him. No good can ever come of it. Silence can't be quoted either.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info.... Hopefully I will not have to deal with this type of behavior. I swear the actions of these coaches is worse than " school ball ".

Tip
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RefTip
Thanks for the info.... Hopefully I will not have to deal with this type of behavior. I swear the actions of these coaches is worse than " school ball ".

Tip
ALWAYS. COUNT ON IT!
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

I'm in the camp that says not to put any time on the clock or even give the coach any amount time to leave the gym.
I have no idea where people got this idea from as I can state with certainly that it has not been in the Rules Book in the last ten years, and I don't know if it was ever in the book.
In fact, the following note from the NFHS Rules Book was even reworded this year to very specifically state that the coach must leave immediately and the penalty for not doing so is the game being forfeited.

RULE 10 - SECTION 4 BENCH TECHNICAL

NOTE: A single flagrant foul or the second technical foul charged to any bench personnel, other than the head coach, results in disqualification of the offender. The third technical foul, the second direct technical foul or a single flagrant foul charged to the head coach results in disqualification and ejection. Ejected adult bench personnel shall leave the vicinity (out of sight and sound) of the playing area immediately and are prohibited from any further contact (direct or indirect) with the team during the remainder of the game. Failure to comply with the rules of ejection may result in the game being forfeited.