The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Toward the end of an intramural game, after a basket, a player on the non-scoring team was on the ground past the endline after tripping over himself. A player on the scoring team grabbed the ball after the basket and tossed the ball at the player on the ground (not hard). The ball hit the player on the knee and bounced away. Would you call this a delay of game and warn/tech?
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Intramurals are a different animal - Had you warned them about tossing the ball out of the basket before? Did you think they intended for the ball not to be caught by the player on the floor?

How much of a delay did it cause? 3 seconds? 5 seconds? 10?

I know that is all irrelevant as far as rules go, but in an intramural game, likely the playoffs at this point, better to let the players decide the game if it would become a technical foul.

If they hadn't had a DoG warning yet, perhaps give them their W. Most intramural teams won't use an extra DoG to see a play setup at the end of a game anyway.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

No.

What's the rest of the story?
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

nothing. If the ball rolled a good distance from the player on the ground I would more than likely stop the clock and get the ball back to him for a running the endline throw in.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

In your situation, I got nothin'..... However, this thing you described is one of my pet peeves. In every school pre-game with captains (which in my experience rarely gets done in AAU) I always tell the players, "One more thing. This drives me crazy. On a made basket LEAVE THE BALL ALONE!" I have found that speech usually stops this.