The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Question - Offensive Hooking - Whats the call? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/19018-question-offensive-hooking-whats-call.html)

Camron Rust Wed Mar 09, 2005 05:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bradfordwilkins
A1 is dribbling on offense with his back to B1. He reaches his non-dribblign hand around and hooks B1, pushing off and locking off a path to the basket.

I've got a foul on A1, but is this a player control? Or a push? The reason I'm curious is what happens if its a bonus situation. Player control they wouldn't shoot. A push they would.

Yes. It is a push AND a PC foul. A PC foul is one of the basic personal fouls that is commited by the player with the ball. It could be a push, hold, block, illegal hands, or hand check. The PC foul is just a further categorization. Officials Signal: PC foul only.

Back In The Saddle Wed Mar 09, 2005 07:49pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:

Originally posted by bradfordwilkins
A1 is dribbling on offense with his back to B1. He reaches his non-dribblign hand around and hooks B1, pushing off and locking off a path to the basket.

I've got a foul on A1, but is this a player control? Or a push? The reason I'm curious is what happens if its a bonus situation. Player control they wouldn't shoot. A push they would.

Yes. It is a push AND a PC foul. A PC foul is one of the basic personal fouls that is commited by the player with the ball. It could be a push, hold, block, illegal hands, or hand check. The PC foul is just a further categorization. Officials Signal: PC foul only.

There is an illegal act and a type to consider on all fouls. A push is an illegal act. Other illegal acts include block, hold, hand-check and illegal use of hands.

Types of fouls include common (the norm), intentional, flagrant, double, multiple, and player control. The type of the foul determines its penalty.

So the act the player commited was a push. Because the player was in control of the ball at the time, the type of foul is PC.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Mar 09, 2005 09:37pm

I am joining this thread just to inject a historical note.

A long time ago (in a galaxy far away, LOL) the proper signal mechanics for both NFHS and NCAA when a player control foul was committed required the official to signal the specific type of foul first (pushing, charging, or holding) and then give the player control foul.

When it comes to the holding (hooking) foul being discussed in this thread that I find myself referring to the old mechanic of giving the hold foul followed by the player control foul when I report the foul to the table.

MTD, Sr.

Boiler14 Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:33pm

Thank you Mark! I don't know how long you have been at it, but 18 years for me. I knew I was not totally off base here.