The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to mhmob
hi there- new to the forum, long time bball player/parent/junkie. had an issue at our league that abides by NJ HS rules. ball inbounded with 3.9 secs left, winning basket scored with .1 sec left in game. scorer's table then admits to refs that they started the clock late and game shouldve been over before shot went up. Is this the breaks of the game or do officials have some authority to overrule? of course, my team was on losing end, but only the 1st game of a season so no problem.(had the moral victory of feeling like we played well as a team, right?)
thanks for any input!
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 01:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Nothing they can do. Unfortunately, it's just the way it goes sometimes. Basket counts.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done.
Sad to see that happened.
Hopefully that crew got far more right than they did wrong.
(Not that the floor officials got that one wrong)
Glad to have you aboard.
AAR
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

what??

sure there is something that can be done...however there has to be definite knowledge, such as backcourt or closely guarded counts, then there has to be the it is way late scenario....so in short while technically nothing can be done there are certain instances where it could be waived off....not likely however
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 03:26pm
M.A.S.H.

Question

I don't get it. What the hell do these time keepers think they should be doing? I mean I could maybe understand an error occuring mid-way through the 2nd quarter or something when things might be a little slow or whatever. But at the end of a game, things are close, you'd think they would be playing extra attention to the officials. Unless, it's the home team that's inbounding the ball. Then, you've got a big problem!
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: what??

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
sure there is something that can be done...however there has to be definite knowledge, such as backcourt or closely guarded counts, then there has to be the, it is way late scenario....so in short while in practice nothing can be done there are certain instances where it could be waived off....not likely however
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
I don't get it. What the hell do these time keepers think they should be doing? I mean I could maybe understand an error occuring mid-way through the 2nd quarter or something when things might be a little slow or whatever. But at the end of a game, things are close, you'd think they would be playing extra attention to the officials. Unless, it's the home team that's inbounding the ball. Then, you've got a big problem!
Your average timekeeper has a LOT of things to keep track of. There's rooting for the home team, watching the cheerleaders, checking out the fabulous babes sitting three rows from the top to the left of the band, there are phone calls to make and take, friends to gesture to across the way, bad calls to gossip with the scorekeeper about, and lots more. With that kind of workload, it's a wonder they can function at all.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 11:24pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Your average timekeeper has a LOT of things to keep track of. There's rooting for the home team, watching the cheerleaders, checking out the fabulous babes sitting three rows from the top to the left of the band, there are phone calls to make and take, friends to gesture to across the way, bad calls to gossip with the scorekeeper about, and lots more. With that kind of workload, it's a wonder they can function at all.