The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Question

Relative to calling a backcourt violation, a dribbler must have both feet and the ball in the frontcourt to have front court status. Must the dribbler be in the backcourt when he starts a dribble for this to apply? For example, A1 was dribbling the ball with both feet and the ball clearly in the backcourt. He passed the ball to A2. At the time the ball reached A2, his feet were both on the floor in the frontcourt, but instead of catching the ball, he deflected the ball (clearly never held it) toward the floor and it hit in the backcourt where he continued to dribble. Legal? It feels like a violation to me, but I am not sure I can justify it by rule.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 09:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Violation. The rule specifically applies to a dribbler moving from front court to back court. As soon as A2 touches the ball, it gains front court status. He need not hold it or gain control. Furthermore, if A1 ended his dribble prior to the pass (by holding the ball), the ball gains front court status at that point.

[Edited by Snaqwells on Mar 8th, 2005 at 09:56 AM]
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

A1 steps over the division line with the ball into the frontcourt but has the heel of his right foot still on the line, the ball and left foot are clearly in the frontcourt in my opinion.

A1 then lifts his right heel and picks up his dribble to make a pass, so now he has both feet and the ball clearly in the frontcourt and I quit my visible 10 count. (He is on the ball of his right foot now. This does establish position in the frontcourt, right?)

A1 believes he is in the frontcourt, but sets the heel of his right foot back down onto the line before he makes his pass and I hit him with the OAB and award the ball to B. Coach A is visibly upset at me and/or his player.

Good call or no-call for you?
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
A1 steps over the division line with the ball into the frontcourt but has the heel of his right foot still on the line, the ball and left foot are clearly in the frontcourt in my opinion.

A1 then lifts his right heel and picks up his dribble to make a pass, so now he has both feet and the ball clearly in the frontcourt and I quit my visible 10 count. (He is on the ball of his right foot now. This does establish position in the frontcourt, right?)

A1 believes he is in the frontcourt, but sets the heel of his right foot back down onto the line before he makes his pass and I hit him with the OAB and award the ball to B. Coach A is visibly upset at me and/or his player.

Good call or no-call for you?
Good call.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Durkee
Relative to calling a backcourt violation, a dribbler must have both feet and the ball in the frontcourt to have front court status. Must the dribbler be in the backcourt when he starts a dribble for this to apply? For example, A1 was dribbling the ball with both feet and the ball clearly in the backcourt. He passed the ball to A2. At the time the ball reached A2, his feet were both on the floor in the frontcourt, but instead of catching the ball, he deflected the ball (clearly never held it) toward the floor and it hit in the backcourt where he continued to dribble. Legal? It feels like a violation to me, but I am not sure I can justify it by rule.
As snaqwells noted, the three points rule applies only to a dribbler dribbing from backcourt to frontcourt. The normal backcourt rules apply to A2, who is receiving a pass. His initial touch of the ball gives it frontcourt status, his dribble in backcourt gives it backcourt status and makes him the last to have touched it in frontcourt. When he touches the ball after it comes back up from the floor, he becomes the first to touch after it went to the backcourt. Violation. 9-9-1, 4-4-6
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Thank you, Snaqs and BITS. May I call you Snaqs and BITS, or do I need to increase the number of my posts first?
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 01:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Thank you, Snaqs and BITS. May I call you Snaqs and BITS, or do I need to increase the number of my posts first?
You may call me El Conquistador. Or, for short, "snaqs."
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just don't call us Kibbles & BITS
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 03:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Yeah. That would make me Kibbles, and I'm not sure I'm secure enough for that.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Yeah. That would make me Kibbles, and I'm not sure I'm secure enough for that.
Hmmm, a kibble quibble.