The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Basketball official and objective fan here, witnessing a substate final; winner goes to state.

Team A has come back from a 12 point or so 4th quarter deficit to tie the game with less than 8 seconds in regulation. Teams B inbounds the ball about 15-20 feet from the endline towards the side opposite the bench, and calls timeout. Less than 5 seconds on the clock. Officials get together and chat, Team B inquires about location of throw-in since official with ball isn't standing at the spot. He ends up giving Team B the ball at the midcourt line, probably 20-25 feet closer than where they should have received it. Fans for Team A are going nuts! Team B passes in, dribbles, forces up shot, foul is called(which there was a foul), tie game, kid on line for two shots with no time left on clock, makes first one, game over.

The game, of course, wasn't decided by the officials alone. There were many missed shots, turnovers, etc. But it doesn't help the situation at all when a basic thing such as the throw in spot is missed like that at a particularly crucial part of the game.

We've all seen stuff like this, but it's sad when it happens and people have to go home with such a sour taste in their mouths, and they read articles about how quality officiating has gone downhill and they see exampleson a regular basis.

Enough spouting.

Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Coupla things:

1. The officials didn't get together to simply "chat". They got together to do their job.

2. No one cares how the fans felt. Why didn't coach A question the location of the spot?

Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Dan, you are correct, I'm sure their conversation was productive and necessary at that point in the game. As for your second point, I couldn't see what the coach was doing because 500 people in front of me were all standing and yelling about the throw in spot. True, you ignore the fans. In that situation, I couldn't see the coach.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Coupla things:

1. The officials didn't get together to simply "chat". They got together to do their job.

2. No one cares how the fans felt. Why didn't coach A question the location of the spot?

Seems that one very important part of their "chat" got left out, where the timeout was called and the spot of the throw-in.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 01:17pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

WOW!

This is about as close to the officials winning the game as I can think of.

Major screw-up.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

Coupla things:

Seems that one very important part of their "chat" got left out, where the timeout was called and the spot of the throw-in.
Until we hear from Coach A I won't assume the spot was wrong.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 03:20pm

Quote:
Is the original poster's account not good enough? He's a basketball official.

Perhaps Coach A was more concerned about coaching his players than having to worry that officials doing a substate final can't get the most basic mechanic correct.

Are you saying that an error becomes an error only if the disadvantaged party says something?
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

I've heard the last minute or 2 of a tight especially important game referred to as "nut cuttin time". (apologies to our female board members). While it is important to be dead on during these crucial ticks, if the spot was still somewheres in the backcourt, 25 feet won't be the difference. The pass would have been a little longer but the clock would have still started at the touch. The shot would have been from a little farther out. How long does it really take for a HS player to travel 25 feet? Did he actually shoot at the buzzer or would there have been time for him to dribble 25 feet farther had the original spot been farther back? Lots and lots of variables here but it still boils down to DON'T FOUL THE SHOOTER!
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

Perhaps Coach A was more concerned about coaching his players than having to worry that officials doing a substate final can't get the most basic mechanic correct.

Are you saying that an error becomes an error only if the disadvantaged party says something?
With all due respect to buckrog64, all I'm saying is we have 1 man's account.

There are 4 more versions to hear: the 3 guys working the game & Coach A. My only reason for dragging Coach A into this is I have never, ever heard of a coach just sitting by without a word when he thought he was getting screwed by the officials. Maybe people are different in buck's corner of the universe, but I can't imagine a coach just letting this go without at least an explanation.

Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 04:21pm

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
I've heard the last minute or 2 of a tight especially important game referred to as "nut cuttin time". (apologies to our female board members). While it is important to be dead on during these crucial ticks, if the spot was still somewheres in the backcourt, 25 feet won't be the difference. The pass would have been a little longer but the clock would have still started at the touch. The shot would have been from a little farther out. How long does it really take for a HS player to travel 25 feet? Did he actually shoot at the buzzer or would there have been time for him to dribble 25 feet farther had the original spot been farther back? Lots and lots of variables here but it still boils down to DON'T FOUL THE SHOOTER!
I too have heard the that the last 2 minutes are crucial. You want to "finish hard", or "finish on a high note". Your moniker "nut cuttin time" is accurate.

I disagree. Granted the time will start on the touch, but the longer the pass, the higher chance of an interception, knock out of bounds, mishandled reception by the offense - any number of things that could lead to a shot being released after the buzzer, if at all.

I agree saying you shouldn't foul the shooter. But it said that the shooter forced up a shot - which is not a good look at a shot. Had the ball been properly thrown-in, imagine what kind of shot would be attempted then?

I know it's all a big "what if", but if it's true that 25 feet of real estate was given away: c'mon - surely you know that's significant.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There are 4 more versions to hear: the 3 guys working the game & Coach A. My only reason for dragging Coach A into this is I have never, ever heard of a coach just sitting by without a word when he thought he was getting screwed by the officials. Maybe people are different in buck's corner of the universe, but I can't imagine a coach just letting this go without at least an explanation.

Unless it's a rare occassion where a few posters are working a game together, we ALWAYS only have one person's account.

You came out shooting, got caught in it, and now you are trying to defend a undefendable position. It makes you look bad.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Unless it's a rare occassion where a few posters are working a game together, we ALWAYS only have one person's account.

You came out shooting, got caught in it, and now you are trying to defend a undefendable position. It makes you look bad.
Got caught in exactly what?

Please, use as much roon as you need to explain, if you need another sheet of paper just ask.

Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Got caught in exactly what?

Please, use as much roon as you need to explain, if you need another sheet of paper just ask.

You treated the first post like it was from a fan-boy, and went on the offensive.

Then you brought up the coach and it was answered by the origional poster.

You then started in with the one person's account NONSENSE, because 99.9% of the posts on this forum are discussed based on one person's account.

You must be bored and want to engage in stupid arguments, but I'm not going to fall into your trap.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
I too have heard the that the last 2 minutes are crucial. You want to "finish hard", or "finish on a high note". Your moniker "nut cuttin time" is accurate.

I disagree. Granted the time will start on the touch, but the longer the pass, the higher chance of an interception, knock out of bounds, mishandled reception by the offense - any number of things that could lead to a shot being released after the buzzer, if at all.

I agree saying you shouldn't foul the shooter. But it said that the shooter forced up a shot - which is not a good look at a shot. Had the ball been properly thrown-in, imagine what kind of shot would be attempted then?

I know it's all a big "what if", but if it's true that 25 feet of real estate was given away: c'mon - surely you know that's significant.
Ok, true, right, it is all a big what if at this point and if they did give them a bonus and significant 25 feet, then that's disappointing. Still could have turned out differently. Gotta play the cards you're dealt, that's all I'm saying. Don't foul the shooter and you probably get out by the hair of your chinny chin chin.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by buckrog64
He ends up giving Team B the ball at the midcourt line, probably 20-25 feet closer than where they should have received it.
Just curious...when the throw-in was made, where was it received?