The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

"I am not sure of JRut's intent for the post, however, I feel it is a valid topic for discussion or review. "

Sure, it's valid but it seems quite off-topic on this board? If he wants to discuss race relations on here that's fine, I don't have to look at the post but at least come out and admit you want to discuss the issues raised in the article. To relate this to officiating becomes a REAL stretch unless you are in the SICA conference.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 01:18pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

In my opinion, this thread easily falls within the guidleines available in this basketball forum.

It shows policy, politics, thoughts and opinions with which many officials deal on a regular basis and with regular bias.
mick
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Could someone tell us which Southwest Suburban schools are looking to re-align? It was my understanding that Joliet was one of these schools. I would be hard pressed to find any school more diverse than Joliet. It appears the black vs. white has again reared it's uneducated head and failed to remember hispanics, asian, and others.

this is my one and only post to this thread. I have waisted way too much productive time already listening to black vs. white bashing.

Please show some respect to the members of this board and exchange e-mails, phone numbers, etc....or take this to a private chat room. I agree this thread has merit as it relates to political / societal issues...but I would hate to have others be pulled into this thread and read for 20 minutes only to find a couple of posts worth reading.

I will get out of your hair now and get something productive done.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 03:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rizzo21
"I am not sure of JRut's intent for the post, however, I feel it is a valid topic for discussion or review. "

Sure, it's valid but it seems quite off-topic on this board? If he wants to discuss race relations on here that's fine, I don't have to look at the post but at least come out and admit you want to discuss the issues raised in the article. To relate this to officiating becomes a REAL stretch unless you are in the SICA conference.
If you had been around longer than a few weeks, then you might see a lot of posts that do not directly relate to the masses. Any topic that deals with a conference and the breakdown of that conference is officiating related. What is happening in the SICA conference could happen anywhere in the country. Especially in urban areas and the many suburbs that surround them.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

If you had been around longer than a few weeks, then you might see a lot of posts that do not directly relate to the masses. Any topic that deals with a conference and the breakdown of that conference is officiating related. What is happening in the SICA conference could happen anywhere in the country. Especially in urban areas and the many suburbs that surround them.

Peace
Were you honestly trying to start a discussion related to conference issues or posting an article that lent itself to political discussion? It didn't take long for you to expand upon your own POLITICAL views once "Bush in 2004" started ranting about you. He either hit a nerve or that's what your purpose was in the first place.

Again, I have no problem with this if your motive is truly to have a political discussion on race relations. It costs me nothing to simply ignore the thread if I want to but if you start defending your original post on the guise it was "official/conference" related, you sound disingenuous.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
JRut,

Thanks for the info, that makes things a bit clearer. I also went to the sun-times website and read some of the other articles about not only the phone messge, but also the split of the conference. It seems to me that there may be more than one issue at play here. First, judging by what some of the articles said, it would appear that the 11 schools that are separating are sufficiently diverse. Quote from one article--"On Monday, 11 schools, including Lincoln-Way's two schools, said they were creating their own conference. Of the 11, seven are at least 80 percent white and two are about 52 percent white. The remaining two are less than 40 percent white." That seems pretty diverse to me. Now, that being said, I don't think that the motivation of any particular school or board was racial in general. It would appear that Maureen Jagmin definitely felt some racial animosity towards the other schools. Although, I do leave some room for the fact that her moronic comments may have motivated more by class than by race. It may just happen that the classes that she is disparaging happen to be largely minority. I have seen similar things happen around here with regard to class, although most of those involved happen to be white.

I think that the most reasonable explanation here is that you had 11 schools that were trying to act in their own best interests, whatever those may be; and you have one stupid person that has gone and mucked the whole thing up for everyone by coloring the debate with her own stupidity. It wouldn't be the first time. I beleive that one of the posters on this board has a very relevant quote in his signature line--"never argue with a stupid person, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Also, athletic redistricting doesn't seem to be quite as weighty an issue as, say, redistricting for attendance. As much as I love Rep. Bobby Rush for being one of my fraternity brothers, I don't think that the attorney general is going to be of much help with this one.
It certainly is interesting to me, especially in that it is taking place in such a large area.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 04:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Were you honestly trying to start a discussion related to conference issues or posting an article that lent itself to political discussion? It didn't take long for you to expand upon your own POLITICAL views once "Bush in 2004" started ranting about you. He either hit a nerve or that's what your purpose was in the first place.
What difference to you does it make what my motives were or what they were not? I have every right to post anything that falls within the guidelines of this site and what others have posted based on all kinds of issues. I know who and what I am dealing with when I come to this site. The article was interesting to me and has been talked about long before this article was even written in the paper or online.

Let me say this for the record. If anyone had been here longer than a month, they would know what my political views are. A name does not "hit a nerve" with me. I have always thought of Bush and his administration as flawed. It is not my children dying or my friends fighting a war that is being fought based on a lie. I have made it very clear what my position politically is, so anyone that holds on to that point of view and trying to defend that administration just brings laughs to me personally.

Quote:
Again, I have no problem with this if your motive is truly to have a political discussion on race relations. It costs me nothing to simply ignore the thread if I want to but if you start defending your original post on the guise it was "official/conference" related, you sound disingenuous.
Actually there is no real motive other than I can post articles like this based on many other things I see here. I have read in the past month things about going to greet soldiers coming home from Iraq and the Army-Navy basketball game which talked nothing about the officials or who was assigned the game. I did not read your post talking about why those were posted and questioning the motives of the people that posted those articles. If this topic makes you uncomfortable that is really your problem. I am not going to stop talking about the things that interest me and things I talk about with officials regardless of their color. I had a conversation about this issue with 3 Caucasian officials at a Baseball clinic about a week ago. They brought it up to me and 2 of the individuals lived in the region where these schools are located in the SICA conference. It is not my problem that you cannot understand why I would post this article.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 05:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

drothamel,

The issue of the 11 succeeding from the SICA conference is really another issue all together. For me that is not an issue rather than a good move to work with schools that have a similar mission. Part of the problem is that there are 30+ schools in the SICA before this succession of these 11 schools. Anytime you get 30+ schools together with different economic, racial and academic issues you are going to have some disagreement. I am surprised it worked as long as it did in the first place. The 11 schools in my opinion are making a good move. It is just sad that one board member had to say the things she did. But that should not detract from the move of these 11 schools. There succession is based on what makes since for them. There are a lot of conferences in our area that have similar racial makeup.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
JRut,

I agree completely. Like I said, sometimes stupid people have a way of mucking things up for everyone else.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bush in 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
drothamel,

The issue of the 11 succeeding from the SICA conference is really another issue all together. For me that is not an issue rather than a good move to work with schools that have a similar mission. Part of the problem is that there are 30+ schools in the SICA before this succession of these 11 schools. Anytime you get 30+ schools together with different economic, racial and academic issues you are going to have some disagreement. I am surprised it worked as long as it did in the first place. The 11 schools in my opinion are making a good move. It is just sad that one board member had to say the things she did. But that should not detract from the move of these 11 schools. There succession is based on what makes since for them. There are a lot of conferences in our area that have similar racial makeup.

Peace
Are you talking about succeeding or seceding? And I thought it would make sense, not since.

Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 04:28am
Official Forum Member

gawd...