The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 02, 2001, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I had a real bad officiating experience tonight. I worked with a guy who is quite a bit older than me and the game we worked was a total blowout. Team A won over Team B by 32 points, the game was never in doubt. My partner is Lead, I'm trail, A1 is on a breakaway for layup when B1 steps in and jumps into his body, an obvious foul. As trail, I am some distance from the action, but it was clearly a foul and my partner did not call it. I did.

As soon as my whistle blows, my partner turns to me and yells "you can't make that call from there", needless to say, Team B's coach goes off on me, echoing the same sentiments as my partner. Then my partner tells me (loudly) that B1 never touched A1. This is just plain wrong. However, wanting to act in a professional manner, I let it go and tell him we'll talk about it later, to which he replies (loud enough for everyone to hear) "No, we'll just have to live with it." I was really teed off, but I said nothing. I waited until halftime hoping he would apologize or at least give some explanation for his behavior. Nothing.

For the rest of the game I had a hard time concentrating on my job because I was mad. I didn't miss any calls, but I was so peeved at this guy that I just wanted to get out of there.

I was taught to back your partners up on their calls even if you disagree with them. And never, ever show them up in front of the teams, crowds, and coaches. I want to write this guy off as a total jerk.

Any thoughts?
Old Fri Mar 02, 2001, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

I cannot condone what the other official said and really wouldn't know what to say about this guys profesionalism, there is still alot you can take away from this. You say you expected your partner to back up your call, but did you back up your partners no call. When you decided to call this foul from that distance in effect what you said was my partner can't officiate his area so I will have to. He may have passed on this one due to the nature of the contact or even the score or he might have missed it. While these 2 players were on a breakaway what were the other 8 doing this is where you should have been looking. You say for the rest of the night you didnt't miss any calls I doubt that since we all miss calls every game, but we will miss a lot less if we concentrate on covering our own area instead of others.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2001, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

In two person, it is difficult to see everything. In three person, we miss calls all the time. If the call needed to be made, an official should come from China if necessary to make the call. A "good partner" would NOT EVER SHOW UP THEIR PARTNER AND SAY NEGATIVE THINGS THAT ANYONE, ESPECIALLY THE COACH, CAN HEAR. You are a team and you should always have the others back.. even on calls that you may have passed on and 100% disagree with.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2001, 10:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up calling your area.

reffingrook82, I was not there and it is very difficult for me to say what you called was wrong or not. In 2 person mechanics, you have to call many things that you would not call in 3 person games. But I cannot condone or accept the behavior of your partner. This was a the heightness of unprofessional behavior. If he had a problem with your call, he could have waited until you guys were alone.

It might be harder as your first year, but in the future you need to stand up for yourself in those cases. Not on the court, but during halftime or after the game. And if you have a good pregame, discuss your partner's attitude about calls that might be right but in each others area. At least you know if you make a call that appears to be in partners area, at least you know what might be the reaction by making the call. Just chalk it up to experience and learn from it and move on. This will not be your last bad experience.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2001, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

I would be careful about making a call out of your area. While you did premise it by saying "if the call needed to be made", and i do agree there is room for making certain calls out of your area. it should be few and far between. its obvious from this other horses a** official, he had a good look and didn't think the call should have been made. I do think you should go to the supervisor and report him. i also think you should give him a piece of your mind. i would also let other officials know what he did. But 1st take responsibility for making a call out of your area.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2001, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by reffingrook82
I had a real bad officiating experience tonight. I worked with a guy who is quite a bit older than me and the game we worked was a total blowout. Team A won over Team B by 32 points, the game was never in doubt. My partner is Lead, I'm trail, A1 is on a breakaway for layup when B1 steps in and jumps into his body, an obvious foul. As trail, I am some distance from the action, but it was clearly a foul and my partner did not call it. I did.

As soon as my whistle blows, my partner turns to me and yells "you can't make that call from there", needless to say, Team B's coach goes off on me, echoing the same sentiments as my partner. Then my partner tells me (loudly) that B1 never touched A1. This is just plain wrong. However, wanting to act in a professional manner, I let it go and tell him we'll talk about it later, to which he replies (loud enough for everyone to hear) "No, we'll just have to live with it." I was really teed off, but I said nothing. I waited until halftime hoping he would apologize or at least give some explanation for his behavior. Nothing.

For the rest of the game I had a hard time concentrating on my job because I was mad. I didn't miss any calls, but I was so peeved at this guy that I just wanted to get out of there.

I was taught to back your partners up on their calls even if you disagree with them. And never, ever show them up in front of the teams, crowds, and coaches. I want to write this guy off as a total jerk.

Any thoughts?
File a formal grievance, in writing, with your association.
There is absolutely no excuse for what this guy did, it
goes against everything we are about.